Chapter Two

This chapter is dedicated to the lovely Laura and Ellie from the account: musicisourlife. I suggest everyone fan them immediately! They are just the nicest people ever! xx

__________________CHAPTER TWO____________________

“Elaine … I just don’t know.”

I sat with Elaine in the office of Sara Pedingfeild, one of the Academy’s mission controllers. Sara is in her early thirties with three kids who are … extremely … hyperactive? Crazy? God knows what to call those kids. Sara is also one of my favorite mission controllers to work with, I think it’s because all those kids have made her a bit soft.

“What don’t you know?” Sara asked gently, standing up from the seat behind her desk and walking over to the front to lean on it so she was closer to me.

I bit my lip, “It’s a big … risk.”

“I know,” Sara paused, thinking about it, “But you have to realize how important this mission is. How many people it effects.”

There was a long silence and Elaine grabbed my hand giving it a squeeze, “I think this is a bad time for Gabby right now. Maybe she should be given some time to think about it?” Elaine asked, almost pleading with Sara.

Sara shook her head sadly, “I’m sorry, but there’s not a lot of time to think about it. I can give you one night to wrap your head around it but that’s all. You need to leave as soon as possible.” She tucked her black hair behind her ear nervously.

I looked up aghast, how could they possibly send me out like that? They just saw what happened to Lissa! Oh god, Lissa, I hadn’t even had time to think about that yet –

My thoughts were interrupted as the door to Sara’s office opened and in toddled her three-year-old son, Daniel I watched as his face curiously assessed Elaine and I but lit up like Guy Forks day when he saw his mum.

“Mummy!” He cried and stumbled over to her.

Sara shook her head but held out her arms to pick him up, “Honey, why aren’t you in the day care?” She asked, but it came out more as a coo.

“I want to see mummy.” The toddler said simply, burying his head into her chest.

With a roll of her eyes, Sara placed Daniel on the smart leather couch that lay against the wall of her office, “I’m sorry guys.” She mumbled to us, “Danny, I’m in the middle of something very important okay? So you have to go the care centre okay?”

“I don’t know where it is.” The toddler smiled.

Sara buried her head in her hands, “I really don’t need this right now.” She moaned. I guess I hadn’t really thought about Sara in amongst all this, a student went missing on her watch, she must of felt like she was responsible for what happened to … Lissa.

“Sara, I’ll take him back to the care centre.” I said walking up to the little boy, “Hi. I’m Gabby.” I smiled, holding out my hand. Daniel took it cautiously.

“Hi Gabby, I’m Daniel.” He said, almost wearily.

“Oh my gosh! Is that super man on your t-shirt? That is so cool!” I gushed to him.

His face lit up with a smiled as he nodded proudly, “Yep, it is …” He trailed off and looked at me curiously, “Do you have super powers?” He asked.

I looked up at Sara, not knowing if I could tell him. She shrugged and nodded so I smiled at Daniel, “I sure do. Do you wanna see?”

He nodded hard and fast. I leaned back and started to access my element. Slowly, I could feel the power rise, the familiar tingle in my finger tips and I strike my palm forward in the direction of Daniel. I sent enough air at him to make him stagger but not push him over. He giggled delightedly.

“What else can you do?” He asked, face shining.

“I can do lots of things.” I smiled back before turning to Sara, “I suppose … if you just give me the mission briefing now I’ll read over it in my room and get back to you after dinner.” I said, grudgingly letting the words out.

Sara smiled at me sympathetically and riffled through the mess of papers on her desk before handing me a cream colored file, “Everything you need to know is in there and you need to study it thoughrouly. You know the drill, that document is your new life. You need to live it.” She said sternly before turning to Daniel, “Honey, Gabby is going to take you to the care centre now.” She smiled, giving him a hug.

Daniel looked like he was about to protest but slumped in defeat, “Okay mummy.” He said, taking my hand to lead me out of the office.

I looked over my shoulder and saw Sara mouthing thank you and Elaine smiled at me sympathetically. Daniel led me to the care centre within the academy for the staff’s children chattering the whole way.

<<>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<>> 

**An Excerpt From Mission Briefing** 

CLASSIFIED DOCUMENT

No notes or copies of this document are to be made without permission from mission controller Sara Pedingfeild. Do not remove from campus.

January 2012: Student A2974 (Gabrielle Brookes)

Mission Statement: Human Trafficking is usually something we expect in third world countries. It rarely happens in wealthy countries such as Australia. But what a lot of people forget is that Australia has many runaway girls. If an Australian girl were put on sale many people would clamber for her. The money the trafficker would receive for her would be enough to live comfortably for many years. A number of Trafficking jobs have been linked to Coober Pedy, a small Australian town, a place for tourists to come and go. Suspect behavior from a man named Harrold Malkin has led the Australian service to believe his involvement in the trafficking scheme.

Harrold Malkin: Also known as ‘Harry’, when Malkin was young, he lived in Russia with his rich parents. Malkin’s father was accused of Human Trafficking and his mother died mysteriously which led Malkin to be put into a Russian Orphanage where he was adopted by an Australian couple and bought over to Australia. When he was twenty-three, he went back and forth between Russia and Australia for unknown reasons. He bought back a Russian bride on his sixth trip and they had their first son, Nicolas ‘Nick’ Malkin. As a family they moved up to Coober Pedy and started up a farming business, coming into quite a lot of money and success.

Agents Mission: The Australian service only suspects Malkin’s involvement and without any more evidence they cannot open up an official case on him. It’s the agent’s job to use their son, Nicolas, to get closer to the family and infiltrate their house and find out more about Harrold Malkin.

Warning: This Mission has been classified as High Risk. The agent must be aware that they will not be working closely with a mission controller and the previous agent who attempted this mission went missing. 

________________READ THIS NOTE .... (PLEASE)_______________

Hey guys! So very short chapter, i know, but thats okay, because I'm uploading another chapter very, very soon! Yay? Maybe? Kind of? Anyway, just wanted to say thank you for the lovely comments and votes you left me for the other chapter. So thank you! I didn't really expect people to be into this story .... Nevertheless, thanks! Ahahah, I cant believe how many times I just said thanks ... but it's only because thats how much I appreciate it! 

- JustBeFearless xx