Chapter 9

| Chapter 9

The robot opened the door again.

"My auditory sensors are ready for your explanation," Stan said.

"She jumped it and then let us in."

"I see. You're playing games. Goodbye."

Ernie grabbed the door.

"The kid's telling the truth robocop. Long story short, the technology your dear Dr. Harmon helped invent has been altered and it is inside of this poor young lady here. You want the truth? She did jump over the gate, easily. In one quick leap, just like that. Bam. Like friggin' Superman."

"So they have continued programing the nanos to enhance the body despite Dr. Harmon's warnings."

"Yes that's right."

The robot looked at Valerie.

"Show me."

"I don't need to show you anything."

"Do you want to see Dr. Harmon or not?" Stan asked.

Valerie looked over at Ron.

"It's okay. I think we should try and find out whatever we can from this scientist guy. Maybe he can help."

"Fine. You want to see Mr. Robot man? I'll show you, but pay attention because I'm pretty fast."

"My name is Stan and I'm watching."

Valerie sighed, shrugged her shoulders, and then ran back toward the gate. Her feet were moving so fast that they were a blur like a cartoon. She jumped and sailed over the gate with ease, landed, and kept running without missing a step. She stopped, turned back and ran for it again. Her movements looked unreal, like something in a movie with a massive special effects budget. One second her feet were on the ground, the next they were twenty feet in the air sailing over an iron gate with sharp gothic spikes at the top pointing towards the heavens. She kept running until she came to the house and stopped right in front of Stan.

"Let me scan you, are you some type of machine?"

"Scan away," Valerie said sweeping her arms down towards her feet.

Stan did. His head and eyes moving with mechanical precision from the top of her head down to her toes and back up again.

"I see you are not lying. Flesh and blood. Working organs, and lots of evidence of body enhancing nanotechnology. Dr. Harmon will want to see this for himself."

"Great, so let us in," Ernie said.

"I'm afraid the doctor is not here right now."

"Well where is he? Do you think he can help Valerie?" Ron asked.

"I will contact him and find out if he wishes to let you know his location. If he does I will be back with the address. Please wait here."

He closed the door all the way this time. Valerie turned around and sat on the porch steps stooping her head down.

"Hey are you alright?" Ron asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine. This is just all so crazy, and I don't know what's going to happen to me. If they catch me again they'll make sure I don't escape again."

"I'm not going to let that happen," said Ron.

Valerie turned around and looked up at him, tucking her bangs behind her ear.

"Thank you. You do make me feel better. I saw you handle them back there, but Ron they're going to keep sending those robots and eventually you're going to run out of bullets."