Chapter 2 - Just Say Yes

Slaves of the Night

Chapter 2: Just Say Yes

  Tristan insisted on complaining on every move I made the whole way down the stairs, his grumbling the only sound that was loud enough to be heard from inside the house. All I could do was take my own sweet time doing so just to irritate him more, and by the time I got outside he had his arms crossed over his chest and the image of a cartoon dark cloud over his head as he glowered at me.

  “What?” I asked, pulling on my left sneaker, the right one already put on as I hopped out the door.

  He raised an eyebrow, “Do you seriously need to ask?”

  “No, probably not. But I figured since you are already sizzling I might as well kindle us a fire,” I smiled cheekily to his demise, but all he did was roll his eyes.

  The air in the night was sweeter down on the ground level than up on the roof, my senses were still tingling from being woken up so suddenly.  My skin was glowing from the right light of the waxing moon. I didn’t even have to look to know how full it was, the tension growing steadily in my body proved it enough. My wolf wanted possession of control. But all I could o was clench my fists and step in front of Tristan, imitating his irritated stance.

  “You got me here, what now?” I said with a smirk, arms crossed over my chest. He eyed me questioningly, before making up his mind and heaving a sigh. He sure sighed a lot. I just grinned wider, glad to know that I could always get under his skin.

  “Come on,” he turned heel and started off in the direction that lead to the familiar path we had both walked down many times.

  “Are you even going to tell me where we’re going?” I asked, striding along to keep up. It’s not like he walked very fast, but his natural stride always had me walking twice as fast just to keep up never mind in an effort to surpass.

  “Nope,” he replied calmly, popping the p in his refusal. I groaned but didn’t pester any further. He probably had reasons to keep whatever it was away from my curious mind—most likely one of those being that he loved to irritate me to no end, just like I did to him—and anyway I would find out wherever we were headed soon enough. The heat had settled in the night causing my skin to quickly overheat.

  A year ago I would have jumped for joy at the mere whisper of summer, but now I would have done the same and more at the thought of winter. Cold, miserable, dangerous, winter. It sounded like heaven to me. I didn’t know how anyone else in the pack stood to deal with the unnescarry body heat that we created, personal furnaces that provided comfort to everyone besides ourselves. I almost found it more irritating than Tristan; the two of them were neck and neck with each other on the scale, but he’d win out every time.

  Speaking of, I glanced over at him walking along in silence down the path. He looked completely fine with everything, his face even totally at ease despite our earlier argument. Knowing him and his mind, it was probably already dismissed and put aside for later. I smiled fondly, he could be as stubborn as a mule most of the time, but at least he knew when to leave well-enough alone. His jaw bones created my favorite line of symmetry that lead up to his silver eyes that reflected the night with an air of mischief. All of it was shrouded by the blanket of his mass of black curly hair that glinted blue with the shining of the moon.

  Something must’ve slipped, whether it be the sigh that could have possibly slipped from my lips or a stumble in my step from being distracted but he caught me staring. It wasn’t until it was too late that I realized he had done so too, and I could feel my cheeks heat up in embarrassment. “What?” he questioned, a small smirk gracing his lips. All I could do was keep my eyes locked on his, taking in the perfection of his face for one more moment while shaking my head before looking back ahead of us.