Chapter 42

Original POV: Denny

*Tuesday Afternoon*

"I think I like NYU better," I told Blake while sitting on his bed, looking at his new laptop he bought from saving up his money that his mom gives him weekly. He was laying beside me, checking the website out. His lips slowly started to form into a smile, and he shifted his eyes into mine.

"Why do you like NYU better than Duke University?" He asked. I bit my lip and looked away, avoiding his eyes. Something tells me he already knows why I prefer a New York college over some university in North Carolina.

"Well..." I started playing with my fingers, still not looking him in the eyes.

"Yeah?" His smile widened and he sat up, his lips only inches from mine.

"I just...I don't want you to be far away, that's all." I said in a meek voice. He watched me for a few seconds, and then he placed his arm around my waist and scooted me closer to him. He hugged me and sighed. "I know it seems like I'm being clingy and needy, but...you being hours and hours away will probably cause me to have a nervous breakdown, you know?"

"I know, Denny." He murmured in my hair. "I know."

He pulled his body away from mine and brushed some of my hair out of my face. He stared at me and turned away, staring down at his carpeted floors. "You feel the same way?" I assumed, touching his back with my hand.

"Yeah. But...that's not the only thing. My mom and I got into it on Sunday."

I gasped.

"Yeah. It was about you."

My heart started beating so fast, about ready to fall out from its place and into my stomach.

"Not for the reason you think," He quickly assured, turning to me. His bright eyes darted off to the side in thought, and then he sighed again. "Well...sort of."

"What is it?" I asked with wide eyes. "What did she say?"

"I guess your mom didn't tell you anything. They just think that you and I won't have a healthy relationship if I'm so far away." He said.

"I already know that," I huffed out, "That's why we're both trying to get you to go to a university somewhere near. Right?"

Blake stared at me, and then he turned away again. I raised an eyebrow slowly at him.

That is the goal...right? I mean, we both are trying to get him to go to a college around here, aren't we?

"Blake, are you not telling me something?" I asked, touching his shoulder. He didn't say anything. My eyebrows furrowed in curiosity and I got up from his bed and sat on the floor in front of him. He looked down at me as he remained on his bed, watching me. "What's wrong?" I pleaded with begging eyes.

He started messing with his hair, and then he looked away from me. "I got a message from Duke last night. They want me to be apart of them, you know. They're really big on sports and I guess they know my whole football background and stuff," He shrugged like it wasn't a big deal, but to me, it was.

I wrinkled my eyebrows, so confused. Should I be happy for him or not? I mean, should I be excited because my boyfriend has basically been accepted into an extremely good University or should I feel bad that he'd be far away? I didn't say a word. Nothing came out from me.

"I mean, my options aren't really as open as they were before. I'm running out of time. I have to apply before it's too late." He said.

"But what about us?" I blurted it out before I could stop it. He stared at me. Hah, that's all I get? Just a crummy look?