Love of a Dragon

Chapter 1

********

News travels quickly around the 6 realms. Messages are carried across oceans and forests within a matter of days. It doesn't take long before every single kingdom- big or small- is aware of even the most minor of rumours. The news of the storm reached the king of Tarrbridge in just hours.

"We must call for them!" Exclaimed the kings first advisor, "We have no choice!"

"There is always a choice!" yelled the king.

"Your majesty, your only other option is to allow your people to suffer!"

"No. There must be another way. Remslin, there must be!" The king was almost begging him as he sank into his wooden throne.

"I am sorry my lord"

"Its not safe!"

" There is no other way."

Fredrick Remslim was the Kings first advisor and his most trusted friend. If there was something wrong with the kingdom he was the first to know, and if the king couldn't make a decision, he would be the one to make it for him.

" My lord, I would not say it unless it was absolutely necessary, but it is our only option. We have but a couple of days before the the other realms hear of it and perhaps only until dawn before our neighbouring kingdoms find out. We cannot afford to go undefended. We must kill the creature before it has chance to attack!"

The king sat there in silence. The news of Princewood had shocked him greatly as well as everyone else in his kingdom. He was almost certain that the creature was responsible and he knew the iron coffin would need to be protected. Gradually, he stood from his throne.

" Very well then. Remslin you are dismissed. "

Remslin bowed and the king turned to his guards.

"Send word to the wizard. Tell him to prepare the summoning stone for the guardians. Its an emergency."

************

Halvar was an old man with long silver hair that ran elegantly down his back and dark green eyes that seemed to hold all his wisdom and knowledge. His official position in the palace was to research medicines or unknown species of animals that were found in the wood but he was also the only wizard for miles around. It was because of this that the king thought of him so highly and entrust him alone with the safety of the guardians.

"Is it ready?" Asked the king impatiently.

"This way my lord." Halvar explained before leading him into a narrow corridor that lead to a small room.
The room appeared to be a dug out area in the rock beneath the palace. Every wall was covered in a layer of dust and cobwebs and the ceiling was supported by a large wooden beam that crossed the whole room.
In the centre of the room lay a large rectangular slab of marble that had engravings around its edges. On its surface nine circular plates of gold had been placed that each seemed to glow a different shade of purply blue.

"Are you sure you wish to proceed, my lord?" Halvar asked, with a questioning look.

" I am sure." Replies the king.

Without another word Havlar raised his staff towards the stone and began the chant.