6: You Hired a Man?

A/N: Hi! So since chapter five is something some of you have already read, I went ahead and posted chapter six, as well. Hope you enjoy! 

Note: There is a new character in this book as of a couple weeks ago. Her name is Trish, and she's a loud and inappropriate maid who just so happens to be Adriana's real best friend, and you will be totally confused if you don't know who she is. She's been in almost every chapter so far, so you might have to go back and read to catch up. 

If you're a new reader and are caught up, carry on. :D 

***

Idiot For Hire

Chapter 6: You Hired a Man?

“Is he here yet?”

I sighed impatiently, setting my fashion magazine down. “No, Trish. For the thousandth time, he isn’t here yet.”

Trish held up her hands defensively. “Hey, I was just asking! So when do you think he’ll be here? Soon?”

“Around nine,” I said for the umpteenth time. She was starting to drive me nuts. I was starting to regret the emphasis I’d put on Nathan’s good looks. Trish was even more excited than I was now. “I told him to be here at nine, but he’s not good with time.” That was an understatement.

“Sounds like you know him pretty well.” Trish sat down and playfully nudged me with her elbow. “You, uh, you got something to tell me, Adri?”

I looked over at her slowly. “Nope. Why would I?”

“Oh, no reason,” she said, swinging her legs up and down. “You just seem to be pretty fond of this new guy, and your boyfriend just so happens to be a total dick-face. But it’s nothing.”

I couldn’t even vouch for Mitch because I knew Trish was right. Mitch was a tool. Still, the thought of Nathan and me being romantically linked was overwhelming, and I quickly shook my head. I didn’t even want to consider it. “This is purely professional,” I said. “You know I’m stuck with Mitch for God knows how long.”

“There’s an easy fix for this, you know.” 

“And what’s that?”

“Hire a hit man.”

I smacked Trish on the arm, grinning over at her. “Shut up.”

“I’m just s—ooh! I’ll get it!” The doorbell rang in the middle of Trish’s sentence, successfully distracting her from her vicious thoughts. She sprang up and sprinted out the door, obviously assuming it was Nathan.  

I was going to wait for her to bring him up to my room, but the thought of what she might say to him began to worry me. What if she made some sort of inappropriate comment, or made it seem like I had a crush on him? Trish had the habit of dramatizing things. 

“Shit,” I muttered. I jumped up and ran all the way downstairs, nearly tripping down the stairs in my haste. When I got to the bottom of the stairs, I looked up and came face-to-face with Nathan.

“If I’d known you were this excited about me coming over, I would’ve come earlier,” he said with an amused look on his face.

“I was not excited about you coming over,” I assured him, ignoring the heat creeping up on my cheeks. “I was just—never mind. Where’s your stuff?”

“It’s in my car. I can go get it right now, if you want,” he said, pointing behind him.

It took a few seconds for his words to process. Trish was standing behind him, and her frantic motioning and salivating was kind of distracting. “Yeah. If you need any help, I’m sure Trish would love to help you out.” I shot her an expectant look.