“You know, one of these days you’re going to break down and need someone by your side, Rose. It might not be for a while, but I can promise you it’ll happen.”

            “Geez Mom, aren’t you the positive one?”

            This caused her to chuckle. “What about Chace?”

            “What about him?”

            “Are you going to tell him soon? He seems like a nice guy. You don’t want to keep this from him. It might hurt him.”

            My stomach twisted uncomfortably because her words rang true. “I’m planning on telling him…”

            “When?”

            “I don’t know,” I sighed, letting my shoulders sag. “It’s hard. He’s so happy all the time. What if I scare him away?” My voice caught and I swallowed forcibly. “I really like him.”

            “If he really likes you, nothing will change.”

            I almost snorted. “Nothing will change? Yeah, right.”

            She chuckled a little bit. “Okay, so he might hold your hand a little more often, but where’s the bad in that?”

            “That doesn’t sound bad,” I responded, smiling a little. “I love holding his hand.”

            “Tell him, Rose.”

            “Kate first. I want to see how she reacts first. Then I’ll tell him.”

            “Even if Kate’s reaction is bad?”

            I rolled my eyes. “Good to know you have confidence in Kate.”

            “That’s not it! I just—”

            “No,” I said with a laugh, “I understand. If she takes it bad, then I’ll just pray to God that Chace takes it well so someone will be by my side.”

            “Your father and I will be by your side.”

            “You guys don’t count.”

            She laughed. “I see how it is. I’m going to let you go so you can make your appointment. Did he say if it was okay for you to drive there or not?”

            “Yeah, it’s okay.”

            “Okay. Be careful. Tell your dad to call me when he gets home.”

            “Okay, bye,” I replied, waiting for her bye-bye before hanging up. After closing my eyes for another moment, I forced myself off the couch and into the bathroom to fix my hair before heading out.

            Fortunately the roads were pretty dead, so I was able to speed and make it to the office on time for my appointment. Dr. Vasquez admitted me immediately and proceeded with his usual examination of my eyes. Aside from confusing an E and F, I received the same result as I normally did— my vision was perfect. My concussion had caused no damage to my eyes at all.

            “Rose, do you remember that test I had you do before I told you about your condition?”

            Grimacing, I nodded my head. How could I forget having my eyes surrounded by sticky patches with wires connected to them?