Chapter 6

“Well we’re all done, Babycakes,” Lori said as I stared at my reflection in mirror with my mouth gaping open at the transformation.

A complex, intricate mass of curls was pinned against the side of my head while loose, blonde tendrils framed my glowing face. Those ladies were miracle workers. They turned a poor, young girl into an empowered, beautiful lady. With my lively, smooth, porcelain skin; painted nails; and fancy, new hairstyle my confidence was at an all-time high.

“A man named Randy is here for you,” the young receptionist called from her desk.

Nodding, I climbed out of the salon chair and thanked Lori for all that she had done. Randy politely took my arm and escorted me back to the Mercedes, opening the door for me. I slid into the car and watched as Randy pulled away from the spa.

“Bloomingdale’s is our next stop, correct?” he asked turning onto the highway and making his way to the expensive side of town.

“Yes,” I answered simply, watching as the dark clouds began to thrust rain drops down at the car.

Traffic buzzed around us; cabbies honking at drivers, cars and trucks rumbling, rain pattering against the windows of the vehicles. Somehow Randy expertly maneuvered around the fellow drivers and got us safely to our destination. Parking the car with expertise, Randy got out and opened the door for me. He pulled out an umbrella and held it above my head to keep me from getting wet.

Following me all the way into Bloomingdale’s, he finally left me with the crisp 100 dollar bill in the pocket of my dress. The scent of jasmine tickled my nose as my eyes swept over the thousands of designer dresses that were propped on racks. Indistinctively, I headed for the clearance rack but remembering my price range I swerved to the cocktails dresses that were on display.

“Hello, Miss. How can I help you?” a red head asked whose name was Candi according to her nametag.

“Yes, I’m looking for a dress,” I replied, sounding awkward and unsure of myself.

“Obviously. You would look great in a plum or emerald shade,” she suggested pulling at a green dress that puffed significantly at the bottom.

Soon, she had a stack of different dresses propped in her arms. Thrusting them into my hands, she insisted that I go try them on and come out to show her. She unlocked a fitting room, and I rushed inside, setting the dresses on the chair that was sitting in the corner.

“Okay,” I whispered to myself, slipping the first emerald one over my head and zipping the back.

Turning to the full length mirror, I stared at the cap sleeves that were positioned at an angle on my shoulders. The skirt reminded me of a maelstrom but in the most elegant kind of way. My abdomen was tucked into the fitted bodice that rose into a sweetheart neckline. It was the most beautiful dress I had ever seen.

“I don’t think I need to try any more on. This is the one,” I told Candi as I opened the door of the fitting room.

“I knew you would love that one! Don’t bother with the rest! I’ll clean it up later. I think you’re ready to be rang up,” she responded with enthusiasm.

“Wow, darling. That dress looks marvelous!” a woman complimented me.

“Thank you,” I replied, turning around and realizing it was Lincoln’s mother.

“We must get you a pair of pumps to go with it! It’s my treat,” she insisted, leading me to the shoe department with Candi trailing behind closely.

“I’ve had my eye on these for a while, and I know they would look stunning with that dress,” Mrs. Taylor murmured, grabbing a box and opening the lid to reveal a pair of gorgeous, cream, platform pumps.

The sleek, thin heel stretched four inches long and gleamed in the lighting. They were beautiful but probably 100 dollars alone.

“I can’t afford these,” I admitted, admiring the size six that would fit my feet perfectly.

“Don’t be ridiculous! You’re my son’s best friend! I’ll get them for you,” she cried as if I was being utterly absurd.

“You go change, and I’ll get Mrs. Taylor all set to go,” Candi directed me with a dismissive wave of her hand.

Nodding, I wandered back to the fitting room and slipped off my dress. It was hard to believe how well the day was going considering the life I lived when people didn’t voluntarily pay for my things. Pulling the cotton dress over my head, I adjusted it correctly around my bony body and scooped up my new dress.

Heading over to the cash register, I set my dress on the counter while Candi scanned the ticketed price. She violently pressed some keys on the computer system while it beeped violently at her. Finally, it smoothly brought up a total.

“Okay, your total is ninety four dollars and ninety seven cents.”

Handing her the bill, I watched her deposit the money, hang the dress in a plastic wardrobe bag, and hand me back my change.

“Thank you for all of your help,” I smiled, scooping up my heels and dress.

Strolling to the door, Randy met me there and followed me with the umbrella once again. Hopping into the car, I quickly unzipped the bag and gazed at my beautiful new dress.

“Mr. Taylor is ready to meet you. You may change clothing back there, or we can stop somewhere if you like,” Randy said to me, not looking away from the road.

“I’ll just change back her quickly,” I answered while Randy hit a button that dropped a privacy screen between up.

Carefully pulling my cotton dress over my head, I slipped into the satin dress and pushed my feet into my new pumps. Zipping up the back of my dress smoothly, I fiddled with my hair to make sure all the curls were still in place.

“Are you ready, Miss Evans?” Randy asked from behind the screen.

“Yes,” I answered as I listened to the driver’s door open and close.

Taking a deep breath, I climbed out of the car as Randy opened the door and took my arm. He kept the umbrella propped above me perfectly so not a single drop of rain landed on me and held the door to the restaurant open.

“Thank you, Randy. Your help was appreciated today,” I told him as he smiled and walked back to the car.

“Hello, ma’am. Welcome to Noche Bajo Las Estrellos. Can I get you a table?” the hostess voiced with a small, polite smile.

“I am here to accompany Mr. Taylor.”

“Of course, Right this way, Miss,” she answered leading me through the dim restaurant and to a small table covered in a white satin cloth.

“Mr. Taylor will be here any moment. For now, here is a menu.”

“Thank you,” I answered taking the black, leather menu and opening it.

Soft music echoed through the romantic atmosphere and couples murmured quietly at their own tables. Small strands of lights hung from the ceiling but the rest of the lighting was created by candles. The restaurant was decorated very beautifully to say the least.

“Waiting for someone?” Lincoln asked with a smirk on his face, looking dashing in a tailored black tuxedo.