Chapter 4

“Erika! Wake your white ass up!” I heard someone shout from the kitchen

One of my eyes slipped open and light streamed from the window. No curtains or fancy drapes for this house, making it impossible to sleep past sunrise. I rolled off the mattress that sat on the dingy carpet and wandered to the kitchen.

“Make breakfast,” my mother slurred. “I want pancakes.”

Her bright lipstick was smeared across her face and flecks of mascara dotted her cheeks. Her hair was up and held in place with a pencil- from her waiter that night no doubt. I opened the fridge, knowing there was nothing to make pancakes with or any other ingredients for that matter. Pulling out a jar of pickles, make that one pickle, I offered it to her.

“This will have to do,” I muttered to her, handing her a metal fork and popping the lid off the jar for her.

Moaning, she dug out the lone pickle and bit into it, creating a loud crunching noise. My mouth watered, but I ignored it and moved to the bathroom. I moved my stained toothbrush over my teeth, forcing the last amount of toothpaste onto my brush.

Using my fingers, I moved my hair into place so it was at least presentable. Sighing, I looking into the splattered mirror. The cloudy reflection showed a girl dressed in a raggedy, stained, white tee shirt and a plaid pair of shorts that were from the 1980’s. I knew I was the young lady in the mirror, I just wished I wasn’t.

Exiting the dirty bathroom, I went to my bedroom to find something to wear. My mother never bought hangers in her entire life so my closet was bare, and every article of clothing I owned was neatly folded in the corner of the room. Sifting through the clothing, I found a cute dress that I had bought at the thrift store for 3 dollars. It was one of my favorites, so I quickly changed into it.

It didn’t really fit my size zero frame, but it still got the job done. The sleeves bunched at my bony shoulders, the skirt fell below my knees, and the neckline slouched when I sat down. The baby pink, cotton material was comfortable, and the dress overall didn’t make me look as poor as I really was. Slipping on my battered Chuck Taylors, I slung my bag over my shoulder and saw my mother passed out in the middle of the kitchen. I grimaced at the sight of her in such a state and exited the apartment.

Walking on the cracked sidewalk, I enjoyed the view: a large, maple tree in front of a small house, a young boy learning how to maneuver roller blades, a business man in a gray suit talking on his Blackberry, a mother taking her kids to either a daycare or school. It pleased me to see these people happy and enjoying their life. Watching a small, chestnut squirrel scurry up a tree, I smiled at him and continued on my way.

“Miss Evans,” someone called my name.

I turned my head to see a black, Mercedes stopped on the road to my right. I recognized Lincoln’s driver, Randy. Smiling, I waved at him and went to the car.

“Mr. Taylor sent the car for you,” he said, getting out of the driver’s seat and opening the back door for me.

 Sighing, I knew that Lincoln was just trying to be kind so I slid in. The seats were Italian leather and smelled of what I imagined Rome would be like: fun, lively, compelling. Many characteristics packed into one small city.

“Mr. Taylor told me to give this to you,” Randy told me, handing me a piece of paper torn out from Lincoln’s math notebook.

“Thank you, Randy. Just take me to the school please.”

“Right away, Miss Evans.”

Erika,

I know you enjoy your morning walk to school every day, but I decided you should have the luxury of having a ride today. Please enjoy the services my parent gladly pay for and meet me in the library once you arrive. You’ll have to tell me your first experience with a personal driver. There’s more luxury coming your way. Dinner tonight at Noche Bajo Las Estrellas. Randy will pick you up at your house. I know you’re looking forward to it

Lincoln

I tucked the note into my backpack. Picking me up at home would not be acceptable and neither would taking me to a restaurant that cost twenty dollars a person. I definitely didn’t have enough emergency money for that. When Randy stopped the car, I thanked him and climbed out. Carrying my bag full of books, I made a dash to the library to talk to my best friend.

“We will not be going tonight. We can stay at your place, but I refuse to go out,” I whispered, obeying the no talking loudly rule that the librarian strictly enforced.

“Why not? My parents left me with their credit card this month for food. They don’t care. They wouldn’t even noticed if 200 dollars went missing in a day,” he replied in the same hushed tone.

“I can’t take your parents money, I can’t use your parents’ driver, and I most certainly can’t go to the most expensive place around,” I exclaimed quietly.

“Here take this,” he directed me, handing me a hundred dollar bill.

“Are you kidding? “I asked with my mouth hanging wide open.

“I want this night to be special. Buy something pretty to wear and keep the change if you have any. I know you need it more than I do,” “he explained, tucking the bill into my hand.

“What’s that supposed to mean?’ I asked, hoping with my whole being he didn’t actually know how badly I needed the money.

“I mean that I have a stack of those in the sock drawer for whenever I feel like spending them.”

“Fine, but how about I meet the driver at the diner, I have some work to finish up there after school anyways,” I negotiated.

“I’ll tell Randy to pick you up at six,” he answered, smiling and nodding excitedly.

“Okay, and remember this is not a date,” I joked, winking at him.

“It is prohibited to date each other. I remember the pact we made in seventh grade,” he told me, chuckling.

“Good. I’ll see you tonight then.”

He nodded, “Tonight.”

Exiting the library, I made my way to first period. Realizing the time, I noticed that a driver helped you arrive to school much more quickly than your own two feet.

****

The rest of the school day was uneventful. Notes to write, papers to fill out, and tests to be completed. I worked hard in school; knowing I wanted to be a doctor, I had to be intelligent. I also knew the price of college would be the only obstacle standing in my way of becoming my dream: a family physician. My only hope of medical school was a full academic ride, so I studied for every test and quiz and completed my homework on time every day. I had a 4.0 grade point average since kindergarten, and I was determined to be the top of my class. Enough about school though, back to the story.