Chapter 23: A Pack's Honor

Freshly bathed, River sat on a stool in front of the mirror. He looked miserable in his new clothes. I took a towel and ran it over his head. When I rubbed in the hair gel, his nose scrunched up.

"It smells bad."

I chuckled. "Welcome to the human world where flowery artificial scents are very popular." I brushed his hair away from his eyes.

Lowering his head, he frowned.

"It's not that bad." I finished and lifted his head. "See, you look really nice."

River peered at his reflection. "Do civil always walk around as human?"

I nodded. "From what I understand most of the time, yes. They work with humans." I shrugged. "It's best to look like them."

He sighed, slumping over.

"Hey." I moved around him and sat on the counter. "You could get a mate today. And as soon as you got this," I pulled over my shirt, "you can do whatever the hell you want."

River smiled. "I just hope he's not too strict."

I leaned back on my arms. "I don't think Xavier is going to let someone mate with you unless the alpha knows they'll treat you right. He's partial to you."

The golden haired boy blushed. "No, he's not."

"Yes, he is," I said plainly. "I don't see him doing this for any of the other omegas."

Biting his lip, he lowered his eyes.

I swung my legs. "I'm going to miss you."

"It's not for sure yet."

I pressed my hand to my chest. "I saw the way that guy got all flustered when I told him your name. If it's the same dude and he's high up there, you're going to be ruling this pack."

He sucked in his lips, but I could still make out a grin.

"Come on." I jumped off the counter. "Let's go get something to eat."

River followed me from the room where Xavier and Titus were waiting. The alpha put away with his phone.

"You look very nice River," said the alpha.

"Knowing Aden, you'll get your man." Titus gave him a wink. "Even if he has to barge in there and knock some head together."

My mouth fell open. "What the hell does that mean?"

"You have some of your mother in you," he replied with a shrug.

I smacked his arm on the way to the door. "Let's go, River. I'm starving."

He hurried after me with the dominants not too far behind. Downstairs, we were ushered into a large reception hall. Tables line the walls piled with food, and more were placed in the middle as seating. A lot of them were taken.

I glanced at River. All the color had drained from his face when he saw all the people. Dropping his head, he looked ready to cry.

"Don't you dare." I quickly pulled him into a hug.

River's head fell onto my shoulder.

"You are far better than any of these people. So don't let it get to you." I held him out in front of me. "Alright?"

He nodded. "Okay."

"Now," I tried to sound like the alpha. "Wipe your face, and let's get some food. It's all you can eat."

River laughed and went with me to get plates. If he had been in werewolf form, his tail would have been wagging. I could see the excitement on his face. He took a little of everything. With our plates full, we found an empty table.