Chapter 1: ThunderSHOCK

A storm raged outside the Thunderman dwelling. Lightning flashed across the sky, tearing up the darkened heavens to reveal the light behind. As thunder roared down at the earth, young Chloe Thunderman rushed into the arms of her older brother, Billy.

"There there, Chloe. It's going to be oka— AHHH!" Billy and Chloe
screamed in unison as lightning illuminated the living room.

Mr. and Mrs. Thunderman rushed into the room at the sound of their children's distress, tripping over their nightclothes.

Billy's younger sister, Nora, yawned, slowly catching up to her parents.

"WHAT'S THE EMERGENCY?!" Hank Thunderman boomed, surpassing the thunder in noise level. He wasn't called Thunderman for nothing.

The retired superhero had most certainly changed a lot since his crime-fighting days had come to an end. The slim, yet muscular superhero figure of his youth had, well... expanded over the past few years, and his belly now protruded ever-so-slightly over the waist of his lounge pants. He had slung a large, plastic bottle (about the size of a diver's oxygen tank) filled to the brim with hot sauce over his shoulder. His graying hair was messy and thinning slightly. Despite all this, his athletic abilities had not changed much. After all, appearances can be deceiving.

Hank's wife, Barb, stood beside him, clearly flustered, with her dark eyes darting round rapidly, trained to detect danger.

Nora Thunderman, who was nearly fully awake now, rubbed her eyelids and yawned again, pausing only briefly to readjust her plush pajama bow (it is worth noting that Nora was obsessed with bows).

Scanning the scene, each Thunderman came to the same conclusion (well, almost the same).

"Oh," Nora began in a mocking tone, every aspect of her spunky attitude radiating from her core, "looks like Billy and Chloe are chickens."

At that moment, lightning tore open the sky once again, it's growl sending Nora straight into Hank Thunderman's arms.

"Hey, kids," Barb began reassuringly, motherly essence filling her entire being with the sole purpose of soothing her frightened children, "thunderstorms are nothing to be afraid of," Barb continued with a small, knowing smile. "Their grumbling may be frightening, but it is harmless. It's just the sound lightning is supposed to make, only it comes in a bit too late." Barb placed her hand on her youngest child's shoulder. "Silly thunder, missing its cue!" She then directed a large, motherly grin at the inseparable siblings Billy and Nora, who were each unwittingly clinging to the forearms of the other in fear.

"Sweeties, every super has a fear, including the villains. Just learn to control your fear, and you'll be untouchable."

"Thanks, mom," Nora said with a smile, comforted. She then turned to Billy and fired her lasers near his feet.

"Argh! What was that for?" Billy cried out, hopping on his good foot and clutching the other in his hands. He hopped at a super-human speed, his voice vibrating as he did so.

"Oops. Sorry, Billy," Nora said with an eyeroll, her tone dripping with sarcasm. Her lack of sincerity barely concealed her embarrassment from being frightened earlier. "I only meant to hit the genius supervillain behind you."

Billy stopped hopping in relief. "Oh, well that makes sense. Thanks Nor—AHHH!" Billy yelled for the second time that day. "No way!" he gasped, his face contorted with shock at the latest revelation in his life. "Phoebe is a supervillain!"