Chapter 5 - Five Years Later

Astrid's POV (5 years later)
It's been five years since Hiccup had been taken by the Night Fury and life on Berk had changed a bit. The scrawny little viking everyone laughed at was gone and some people were actually pretty pleased that he was dead. For others his death had changed the way they had lived before. Snotlout was now the next one in line to become chief and he was pretty happy about it. I wasn't because my parents wanted me to marry him when I grew older. I really hated the way he always flirted with me. Ruffnut and Tuffnut stopped doing as many tricks and pranks as they had done before, because Hiccup was one of the only people who actually found them funny and not annoying. Stoick had changed completely of course because it was his son who had died. He barely talked and Gobber had taken over some of his chiefing duties. Gobber had changed too because he had always had a liking for Hiccup. For me life had also changed because when I was about five years old I had a crush on him. My parents told me that I should change my interests to more viking like people like Snotlout. So I gave up on him, but deep inside I still felt the same way I had when I was younger. I would never have admitted it but it was true, sort of. I missed him and I think that most people missed him too but wouldn't admit it even if others did.

Hiccup's POV
It's been five years since I left Berk and life with Toothless was amazing. I was thirteen now and my flying and fire abilities had been improved. Also my stealth and survival skills were better. I always had to keep reading books in Norse and also talk to myself because otherwise one day I wouldn't be able to speak it anymore. I had got all my tools, books and clothes from a shipwreck I had found on an island nearby. I never made Toothless a saddle because when I flew him I mostly laid on his back or stood on him. It wasn't worth it to make a saddle for those few times I actually sat on him. I could fly on my own and it wouldn't be comfortable for Toothless either, so we were both against the idea.

We had built our house in the biggest tree of the island, close to a small cliff. It was just next to the beaches and also close to the mountain. We had a view over the whole forest and on the ocean. I had taken us a whole year to build our tree house but it was worth it. We had a living room with a wooden sofa for both human and dragon, a kitchen with a big storeroom for fish, a big bedroom for both of us and and attic to store all my inventions. We also had a forge but that was on the ground underneath the tree house. So to sum everything up: Life was a billion times better than on Berk.