Refugees Part 8

The leader will follow

The warrior will plea

The healer is coming

To set Terah free

Chapter 8 Refugees

Kia opened her eyes to the blinding light of Warmsun wondering what had startled her. Rok slept soundly a few inches away, nestled down in the mound of feathers. Song was between them, her head resting on Rok's arm. Stix thrashed her head side to side and moaned, her hands worked – stretching out and balling up in tight fists and her healthy leg twitched. Again she moaned and Kia understood a few words mingled with the groaning formed from the nightmare, Run. Fire. Kill. Her breath came faster and beads of sweat popped out on her forehead. Suddenly she opened her eyes and screamed, "No! Kia!"

Kia sat straight up.

Song screamed.

Rok leaped to a crouch, clutching her knife.

"It's okay. Stix has sleep terrors." Kia cradled Stix, rocking and holding her tight. "We're here, sweet Stix, you're safe." Kia stroked her forehead, but jerked back from the burning hot skin.

Stix groaned, but lay limp in Kia's arms.

"Song..." Kia glanced around but Song only huddled in the far corner of the shelter, sobbing. Kia's eyes met Rok's. "Help me."

Rok, moved to the sleeping place beside Stix. "What's wrong?" With a gasp, she yanked the soft tunic off over Stix's head. "She's on fire! Song! Get water!"

Song cried harder, but grabbed the spine plant cup and dove out of the shelter. She spilled much of the precious liquid stumbling back with it. Before either of the fems staring at her could say anything, she ran for more water. This time she also brought a blanket with the corner dripping wet. She wiped the wet blanket over Stix's arms and body while Kia dribbled water into her mouth. Rok stared at Song, but didn't speak.

"We need more of the spine plant," Song whispered. "Kia, do you think you could find it again?"

"Of course, but what's wrong with you? Why are you still crying?"

"This happened because of me," Song sobbed and turned away. "I brought the bad luck. I...I..."

Kia almost laughed. "If you're thinking about you and Vee whispering to each other in the middle of the ceremony, I highly doubt it. I don't think you have the power to call a Zid harvester."

Rok, still crouched, sitting on her heels, growled through clenched teeth. "I think you've all forgotten that I'm a trained warrior, and even if I am young, I can tell when someone hides the truth."

Kia's heart turned cold with fear. She'd seen Rok's temper and knew the horrible consequences of crossing the warrior. Once, Rok had snapped the neck of a swamp wolf when it attacked. Another time, Rok caught an elderfem stealing food and beat her nearly senseless, breaking the elder's arm in the process. The Memlore and council had declared Rok justified and punished the offending fem. After that the whole village feared Rok. Now Kia feared for Song.

Rok roared, fists clenched in fury. "What are you hiding from us? Are you such an infant you can't speak?"

"Stop it," Kia screamed. "Stop now, Rok. This is not the time! No matter what, we have to work together, twice as hard because we are only half of a femtog. And that's no one's fault! You're scaring me and Song, and you're upsetting Stix!"

"Stix is out of it. She can't hear a thing. Come with me. We'll get the spine plant." She glared at Song. "Get over here and take care of our sister. If you think all this is your fault, then do something about it instead of bawling like a child!" Rok stomped out of the shelter and Song scrambled on hands and knees to Stix's side.