Healing Stix 7

Turn not from the struggle

Rise out of the dark

As one you will rally

And heal the rift

Moonlight moved toward the Forbidden Mountains and Kia struggled to see. As much as she feared Zid hunters, she feared darkness more. And, Stix was still cold.

Kia ventured from the shelter to find stones for a fire ring. With luck she may locate a flat rock to use as a cooking plate. With more luck she could find flintrock which would break apart in a fire, and she could make spear points.

Near the base of a giant cone tree she found all the rocks she needed and several cones which would burn hot and bright. She gave thanks for the find, then instant bitterness rose in her belly. Why was Veenah punishing her? What had she done that had been so wrong to deserve such punishment? Why had Veenah taken her blood sister and tried to destroy her femtog? Why had Veenah allowed the destruction of her entire village?

Prayers and worries had to wait. Kia had one goal at the moment – save Stix. She stumbled across the uneven ground, back to the shelter and prepared her fire ring just beyond the edge of the wing. Nuts fell easily from the cones and she wondered why tree dogs hadn't found the treasure. She popped some into her mouth. "Probably this Nightbird ate all the tree dogs in the area." She clumped up a wad of dry grass and stripped a bit of soft feather from the wing, then struck her fire rocks. The spark hit the feather-fluff and burst into an instant flame which took up residence in the grass. She gently blew into the tiny flame and added cone chips one at a time. Quickly, a warm, flickering light filled the shelter.

Rok and Song had not yet returned.

Kia stayed busy finding firewood and feeding Stix cone nuts and willa leaves.

"Here, eat a piece of tree dog meat. You must keep up your strength."

Stix coughed. "You eat it. I can't chew anymore," she croaked. "Thirsty."

"Try to stay awake. Rok and Song will be back soon. They have to walk slow so they won't spill the water they're bringing. Morning fog will also come, and water will gather on the grass. Maybe I can find a cape plant and make a water basket out of one of the wide leaves."

"Look for a spine plant. They always have water in their meat." Stix coughed then cried out in pain. "I'm so cold."

"I don't know why I didn't think of that before. Let me bring you more warm stones then I'll look for it."

Kia didn't have to search far. Broad green segments were still engorged with water from the recent rains. But they were also covered with sharp spines which were painful and difficult to remove if they punctured the skin. She knocked two fat pads loose and held them with a stick while she shaved the spines from the thick skin. Then she skewered the prize with her knife and raced back to the shelter.

Stix was asleep. At least Kia hoped so. She fell to her knees and pressed her ear to her sister's chest. Her heart still beat, barely. But her mouth was turning blue. Kia cut a wedge from the spine plant and squeezed the juice on to Stix's lips.

"Wake up. Please wake up. You cannot leave me. Without you we cannot survive," Kia pleaded.

Stix licked the syrupy juice and Kia pressed more into her mouth. She peeled back the leathery skin from the juice filled meat.

"Chew this and I'll get you some more."

Kia's own mouth begged for water, but she tended her sister until finally Stix's eyes fluttered open.