4. BLOW OUT THE CANDLES

Rowdy hung up, glad she’d seemed to finally loosened up some.  Even after they got off the phone Rowdy and Skye stayed up until midnight talking on IM and bantering back and forth on the list and in private.  The e-mails flew, and more than once, he found himself howling with laughter.

He could tell she was still apprehensive about going out with him and talking to him.  He didn’t blame her a bit.  He felt a little nervous, too, but kept reminding himself that she was his Skyebaby and she knew him better than practically anyone on the planet.  It’d all be fine.  

He had feelings for her.  Was it love? He wasn’t sure.  He’d never been in love, not even the typical high school crushes, though he’d come close with Susie. 

He’d never let anyone get as close as Skye had. 

Now, if only he could figure out what he was going to do with her.

# # # 

Rowdy might not have been the greatest housekeeper in the world but he really did hate clutter, so Monday morning was spent straightening up the house.  When he found six of Charlene’s letters stashed in the kitchen drawer under some dishtowels, he stood there slapping them against his palm, and debated throwing them away.  Did she write Mom the same crap she wrote him? 

Considering he hadn’t talked to his mother in nearly ten years, he’d never know.  He cautiously slid his finger under the flap, pulled out the letter and scanned it. 

Dear Rowdy,

I send you blessings and peace.

From the dark side, maybe.  Trash.  He wadded the letter up and pitched it in the plastic garbage bag beside him then tore open another.

Dear Rowdy,

I know you’re not a father but happy Father’s Day anyway.  I’d like to spend this letter like I spent my day.  Talking about Daddy.  Reverend Jennie says

Daddy wasn’t worth wasting a second on, let alone a day.  Trash.  Five pages of drivel joined the last letter.  The postmark on the third one caught his eye.  It had arrived after Tim and Toni took Rene to California for spring break. 

Dear Rowdy,

Happy Easter and many blessings to you.  I had the most amazing visit with Tim and Rene.  I can’t tell you the peace that fills my mother’s heart and gives me hope.  I’ve prayed and prayed just like Reverend Jennie said to, but never imagined he’d actually bring her to see me.  I’m ashamed she saw me here, like this, but she said not to be.  He’s done such an amazing job with her.

No thanks to her.  Rowdy snorted but read on.

I feel so guilty for how I let Rene down and everything I put Tim and Rene through.  His new girlfriend is wonderful and I can see they’re very much in love.  I can't tell you how much peace this too brings me, seeing him so happy.  I know my time with him is over but he’ll always hold a special place in my heart. 

I get out of jail next summer.  Tim said he’ll help me move back to Bluebonnet.  My life is so good!

There was nothing good about being in prison or having a felony record that would follower her the rest of her life or living in a town where everyone knew your every sin.  No wonder she got saved, she didn’t have anything better to do.  At least if she conformed to God’s house, she had someone to talk with.

Trash.

He didn’t bother reading the other three.  Instead he spent the afternoon working on Rene’s computer and his evening chatting with Skye, but it wasn’t the same.  And he couldn’t bring himself to tell her why.  Sister Revered Charlene’s Holy Roller pap had soured his mood so much, he called it an early night.