13: Too late

~Annabelle~

The wolf in front of me refused to let his eyes stray anywhere, but me. His pitch black eyes scanned up and down my body, scrutininzing my every detail. His jet black fur slicked back and had a slight gleam due to the daylight. His large frame towered over me and I mentally cowered back in fear. The beating of my heart felt as though it would burst through my chest at any moment, and I thought I would have a panic attack in the middle of the clearing.

Connor continued to keep his fists up in a fighting stance, giving the illusion of protection for me. I let out a slight whimper and put my hands on Connor's back, hoping to feel some sort of security. The tens of wolves surrounding us beared their teeth, growling and snapped at the two of us, probably trying to get a reaction out of either of us.

The black wolf slowly approached Connor, sizing him up. The dangerous glint in the wolf's eyes told me this wouldn't end very well. Silent tears streamed down my face in frustration that I couldn't do anything to help the situation and fear that I might be taken away from my life forever.

The large, black, wolf shot his eyes down to mine and took in my tear streaked face. He growled loudly, turning his eyesight back to Connor, seeing him as a threat. Only a couple feet away from us, the wolf crouched down to the ground, preparing to pounce and go in for the kill. He let out a shrill bark in warning, continuing to keep eye contact with Connor. Without any weapons to defend ourselves, we weren't anything compared to these wolves. We were gone the moment they stepped foot on our territory.

I closed my eyes tight, and grasped onto Connor's shirt tightly, preparing for the blow. Only seconds before the wolf was willing to pounce, a strong, powerful voice echoed through the air.

"Alpha! Stop!!!"

Our saviour's voice silenced every wolf within a three mile radius. Unknowingly, I let out the breath that I was keeping in and slowly opened my eyes. Sprinting, from all his glory, along the pathway to the clearing, was General Will.

The wolf snapped his head to the pathway and lowly growled as he saw General Will. Standing up again, he stalked toward General Will continuing to growl. General Will puts his hands up in defense, meaning he meant no harm.

"You aren't thinking rationally, Alpha. Go shift, and let's talk it out. Think about your mate." General Will tried reasoning, keeping his hands up and speaking in a soft voice.

The wolf stopped growling and snapped its head to send an evil glare our way. He scowled and started heading in Connor and I's direction. When he was about a foot away from us, he brought his paw up and slashed his claws across Connor's chest. His claws cut through the thin cloth of his shirt, and penetrated deep into Connor's skin. Connor let out a yelp of pain, and doubled over to his knees. Blood was already soaking Connor's shirt and his hands tried to cover his wounds.

I screamed in shock and fell to my knees beside him. My hands covered my mouth, and my eyes were overflowing with tears.

All the wolves in the clearing, including General Will, stared with back with blank faces. Their still figures and emotionless featues showed nothing. The only thing that showed any real emotion, were their eyes which all held anger and hatred.

The wolf retreated and headed over to a big oak tree. Four other wolves followed suit and hid behind the large oak.

I covered my face with my hands and let out my uncontrolable sobs which shook my body.

"I'm so sorry, Con. This is all my fault! I'm sorry, so sorry..." I repeated over and over again. No amount of apologies could have made up for what I've done, though.

"I will always love you, Annabelle. Don't forget." Connor whispered with the little energy he had left before he would pass out. He reached up slowly and twirled my golden necklace he gave me in between his bloody pointer finger and thumb, staining the gold with red.

Before I could respond, I was lifted to my feet by a pair of strong, toned arms, and pulled into a solid chest. My captor spun me around quickly and grasped my forearms tightly, not giving me anyway to escape. It was hard to ignore the sparks that ignited wherever we touched, and I let out a small breath in pleasure at the burning that was happening under his touch.

It was hard to examine him through my blurry eyesight, my tears clouding my vision. Straining my neck while looking up, he was larger than I remember him, more intimidating, but that made his all the more sexy. At the ball, he was excited and happy, wearing a fashionable suit and tie. But, here, in this moment, he was powerful and striking, shirtless, and showing his tan, toned abs. His basketball shorts hung dangerously low among his lips showing much more than I would've wanted. His jet black hair matched the color of his wolf, but his sparkly blue eyes held no resemblance to the black holes I saw at the ball or in his wolf. I was frightened beyond belief of this man.

His eyes softened as he brought one hand up and brushed my tears away with his large thumb. His thumb stopped among my small thin lips and traced around their shape. I shook my head and looked down to the dirt floor, trying to not get caught in his stare. It felt so wrong when I knew Connor was no more than five feet away from us, passed out on the floor.

The man growled loudly in displeasure and placed his hand under my chin. Roughly, he yanked my head up, only to have my eyes be captured under his dangerous stare.

"You will look at me, little mate. I will not be disrespected." He snapped, his alpha tone pushing through his words. I whimpered, but nodded my head in understanding, not wanting to upset him more than he already is.

As quick as lightning, my cheek slammed into his chest. His arms trapped me next to his body and he was too strong for me to be able to pull away. He bent down enough to shove his head into the crook of me neck, through my long blonde hair that cascaded down my shoulders. He took fast deep breathes, breathing in through his nose. As his breathing slowed, my legs started to shake, melting underneath me as hot air fanned my neck.

"Alpha."

We were brought out of our state by a low, husky voice. The man hugging me growled and snapped his head up, looking over my shoulder.

"What?!" The man snapped, dangerous venom behind his words.

"Th- the boy. What should we do with the human boy?" The voice stuttered nervously, all the confidence vanished.

Coming back to reality, I squirmed in my the man's arms. Reluctantly, he loosened his grip, only enough for me to turn to face the voice, still wrapped in his large arms.

In the middle of the clearing were four unknown faces. They were all large and muscular, no smaller than six foot. Basketball shorts hung low on their hips and they all had golden tan skin. Two of the men held connor up, wrapping each of his arms around their shoulders. Connor's head drooped to his right shoulder, showing he was unconcious. His shirt was bloodied and torn and his feet dragged on the ground. The pang in my heart grew larger as I continued to stare at him.

"Kill him." My captor announced, shoving his nose in my hair again.

My eyes widened as the many wolves around us nodded their heads in approval. I tried pulling away from the man, only to be pulled closer.

"No! No! You can't!" I shreiked at the top of my lungs, thrashing in my captor's arms, ignoring the tingles that told me not to go against him.

Another one of the men approached Connor, getting ready to snap his neck. Wolves around the clearing barked in anticipation and excitement, enjoying the scene happening before them.

I looked around frantically, looking for any sort of help.

"Please! Please don't! Please!" I screamed and kicked in his arms, thrashing violently in his arms as he growled in my ear.

"Alpha, think about this. Think about your mate, you don't want her to hate you. Calm down." General Will spoke up again, sending me an apologetic glance.

Tears streamed down my face when one of the men grabbed Connor's head with both his hands, ready for the signal from my so-called mate.

"I'll do anything. Just please, don't." I whispered, sobbing helplessly. Giving up on kicking, knowing I won't get away.

The barks continued around the clearing, mixed with my ungraceful sobs. The man holding me pulled his face back from my hair. He kissed the top of my head and I let out another strangled sob, thinking he was going to give the final command.

"Stop." My mate commanded, loud enough for every werewolf to hear.

The barking ceased to silence and the only sound you could hear were my silent sobs.

"Why are you defending him, mate?" The man softly whispered into my ear, his breath fanning against my small ear.

I whimpered and shrunk in his arms. His voice was mesmerizing and was clouding my thoughs.

"You feel this?" He ran his fingers up and down my left forearm.Tingles shadowed wherever he made contact, making my arm numb. I let out a breath and closed my eyes, enjoying the moment. I was beyond confused about why he was making me feel this way.

"Please, I'll do anything." I breathed out, trying to focus my thoughts on saving Connor.

The man took his hand and moved my golden locks away from my neck. His big pouty lips feathered butterfly kisses along my neck, turning my brain into mush.

"Pl- please stop. I don't even know you." I stuttered, trying to control my breathing.

He chuckled against my neck before slightly taking my soft skin beneath his teeth, nibbling down. Pulling away, and whispering in my ear.

"But you will, baby. I am the only one who will be able to make you feel this way. Not even him." He began nibbling on my earlobe, tugging it slightly. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't tell him to stop. I didn't want him to stop...

"Now. Tell me again. Why shouldn't I rip that weak and pathetic human to shreds?" He growled, slightly starting to shake with fury.

My mind suddenly became clearer, and I used all my might to push away from him. He growled dangerously, and I knew his wolf was on the verge of coming out again.

"Connor didn't do anything wrong! It was all me. If you were to punish anyone, punish me." I exclaimed, turning around in his arms to face him.

"I saw him! We ALL saw him kissing you! I should give him the worst possible death for trying to steal my mate!" The man snapped pulling my body closer to his.

"He didn't know. I promise, I didn't tell him I met my mate." I lied to him, hoping he wouldn't see through it. "He's just a friend. Nothing more." I whispered, making eye contact, past my mate, with General Will. Something flashed through his eyes, and he darted his eyes towards the ground.

My mate's tense muscles softened as he lifted my his right hand and held my cheek.

"Why did you run, mate? Then we wouldn't have gotten in this mess." My mate questioned, rubbing his thumb over my cheek.

"I- I was scared, surpirised. It startled me and all I could do was flee." I tried being gentle with my words, not wanting to upset him.

"That's no excuse. It's against the law to run." The man warned, tighteneing his hold on me.

I whimpered and nodded my head, knowing what I've done wrong. I didn't think today would be the day that he would find me. I'd hoped to eventually run far away, where the chances of finding me were even slimmer. Connor and I would live a happy life in hiding, but it wouldn't start the day after the ball.

"Just please don't kill him. He's already been through enough." I pleaded, praying for my dear friend. I didn't want to mention how I don't think I would've been able to deal with myself for his death.

The man sighed and scooped my legs up into his arms. I let out a small shriek as my feet left the ground. He held me bridal style and walked to stand in front of the men with Connor.

"Take him back to the house and Annabelle's mom should attend to his needs." He commanded the men holding Connor up. Both of them nodded and began walking along the pathway to my house, dragging Connor's feet on the ground in the mean time. I stared at his back, longing for him, until the trees hid their figures.

"All guards in their wolf forms, begin to run back to the palace. We will meet you there tonight. You three will follow me and help back at the house." He announced, authority and power in his voice.

Every creature nodded their head and dispersed in different directions. The two other men in their human forms followed in step behind us, along with General Will. We began to walk the pathway home and I realised I might never see this clearing again. Looking past my mate's shoulder, I took in the old bench and tire swing. The colorful flowers reminded me of every time I spent with Connor out here. Although the bench rusted, the tire swing became worn, and the trees grew larger, the flowers stayed the same. Growing brown in the fall, but always coming back in the spring. It was one of the only things I could count on to never change.

The clearing grew smaller the farther we walked. I turned back forward, trying to forget the memories shared in this forest.

Around halfway back, I became antzy and started to squirm in the man's arms.

"Please put me down. I can walk." I said, my feet anticipating to feel the floor again.

"I'm not taking the chance of you running again, mate. I need to feel the security of your body in my arms. Now, stop moving!" The man growled, continuing to walk forward the same pace.

"I don't even know your name..." I grumbled under my breath, becoming frustrated that he wouldn't let me walk on my own.

I figured this man held some sort of importance. His frame was larger than every else's and he spoke with authority. He brought many of his wolves with him for this task and calls these the men around us guards. General Will had called him 'Alpha' a couple times which churned my stomach. Never in a million years would I have wanted my mate to be an authority figure. Never would I have accepted any mate if I had a choice...

"It's Damon. Damon Striker."

The name struck familiarity, but I couldn't put his name to a face. His deep chuckle vibrated my body and I gazed up at him in confusion.

"You don't know who I am? Shouldn't a name like mine strike fear through your heart? Or atleast have you falling at my feet in a puddle." He smirked. I was disgusted by his cockiness and had the urge to slap him and run.

"Sorry to dissapoint." I muttered, looking forward again.

The rest of the walk was silent. Birds chirped happily among the trees. Free, to do whatever they wanted. I became slightly jealous of such a small creature. The wouldn't get the chance to be dragged into such a cruel world.

All too soon, our small house came into view. I knew it's quiet outer decor was nothing like what had been or what was going on inside.

"Please let me down." I asked again, hopless.

Sighing, he bent down and placed me on both of my feet. He grasped my hand tightly in his and refused to let go. I huffed in annoyance, but didn't pull away, knowing it was useless to even try.

Quietly, we made our way through the back door and into the house. We followed the whispers into the living room. We were greeted with many faces. My father and brother stood behing the couch, while my mother crouched in front of Connor, who was sprawled across the couch. The two guards that dragged Connor here leaned against the wall near the entrance, and Princess Maggie occupied the one-seater next to the.

What was she, of all people, doing here?

"Oh, Annabelle!" Once my mother saw me, she jumped to her feet and jogged over to me. She wrapped both her arms around my small frame. I could only wrap one arm around her, while my other was occupied by my mate's hand.

"I'm so sorry." She whispered in my ear, tears threatening to overflow her eyes.

"I love you, mom. Dad and Jacob, too. I'll think about you all the time. It's not your fault." I whispered back, while she hesitantly pulled away.

We both made eye contact and nodded our heads, before she slowly went back to attend Connor's wounds. My father and brother both sent me sorrowful looks, and I responded with a meak smile. I was trying to show them I would be all right. It didn't make it as convincing when I wasn't so sure myself.

"Everything she should need is packed, Damon. We should head back to palace in a couple minutes, if we want to make it before sundown." Princess Maggie spoke warily, tiredness weighed down in her voice.

"Palace? Why wouldn't we just go to your pack house?" I thought aloud. Everyone in the room sent me confused glances while my mate just smirked, shaking his head.

"Beautiful, we live in the kingdom. The big palace. My sister packed all your stuff while we were out." Damon spoke softly, rubbing his thumb across the top of my hand.

I was just as confused as I looked. My thoughts were in a frenzy while my stomach churned uncomfortably. Sister? Kingdom? Alpha?

Then it hit me.

It felt like I was hit by a large truck and I started to lose my breath. The awful sense of recognition pulsed in my head. I thought I was going to throw up. It can't be...

"You're Alpha Damon. King Damon." I whispered, looking down. Reality hitting me like a brick wall.

If he's a king, and I'm his mate. That means...

"You'll be my Luna. My Queen. We'll rule side by side among all the creatures." Damon said, a proud smile creeping onto his face.

Any woman would have been lucky to own this title. The power and fame wrapping them in their perfect little world. But, this wasn't me. I wasn't one to get involved with things bigger than myself. I didn't want to be queen. I didn't want to be anywhere near these werewolves.

"No! I- I'm not fit to be Queen!" I squealed, trying to yank my arm away from his grasp. All his gaurds stood up at once, growling at my reaction.

"The moon goddess has paired us together for a reason. You will be the perfect Queen and stand by my side." Damon growled down at me, grabbing my wrist in a death grip.

"Well she must've made a huge mistake! I don't want this! There are other suitable bachelorettes out there for your hand in marriage. Other power hungry ladies, blessed to share a bed with you! Not me! Anyone BUT me!" I shouted, struggling to get out of his grip. The sparks shocked me and became stronger with each struggle. It became hard to ignore them.

"We were made for eachother, Annabelle! You can't just brush me off!" Damon snapped. His eyes were black by now, and I knew his wolf was in control.

"I'm no Queen! I can't control anything! If you haven't forgotten, I'M HUMAN! A weak waste of space! Let me live my life the way I WANT!" I shouted, my temper rising by the second.

My family members stared at me in shock. Tears streamed down my mother's face as the gaurds continued to growl at me. I took deep breaths, trying to tame the fire in my stomach. No matter how hard I tried, my anger rose at a inconsistant pace.

Hurt crossed through Damon's features, but he quickly covered it up by a scowl.

"Guards. Sedate her and grab her bags. We will be leaving shortly." Damon commanded, venom in his voice from our recent shouting match.

Before I could move, Damon wrapped his arms around my small body. He tightly squeezed leaving my arms immobile. I kicked and screamed as one of the guards pulled out a long syringe with a clear liquid inside. Both of the men stalked toward my small body. Tears slipped out of my eyes when the man without the syringe tilted my head to the side and brushed my hair out the way.

"Shhh, baby. Calm down. It'll be over soon." Damon tried comforting me. My body relaxed at the sound of his voice, although I tried hard fighting against it.

The pinch in my neck told my the needle had punctured through my skin.The cold fluid dispersed quickly. I quickly became sleepy. My legs became wobbly and Damon caught me just seconds before my legs collapsed. He scooped his arms under my knees and rested my head on his chest.

My eyelids became very heavy and I used all my strength to keep them open.

"Don't fight it, mate. Go to sleep, beautiful." He whispered, gazing down at me. His voice became like a lulluby and all my muscles relaxed.

"You're mine, baby. You'll never get away from me again!"

Damon's promise was the last thing I heard before I fully gave into the darkness.