The Chunin Exams: The Tower and Days To Come

Night had already fallen by the time we reached the tower, and I could already tell that the Sand ninja had already arrived. I was so glad that we could finally stop running, and I could get away from my team mates. As we stepped inside I felt my vision become blurry, and my ribs were more painful than ever. As Haru and Jirou were trying to work out the meaning of the scroll (I still don't really know what it meant) i sat against one of the walls and tried to focus on something, but I had no chakra left. I blacked out immediately.

I woke up about an hour and a half later, and my team mates were asleep. I tried to get up, and clung to the wall as I headed for one of the windows. Even thought the forest is a place where many have died and such, it was quite a beautiful place at night. A wave of pain rushed over my entire body and I collapsed onto the floor. I leant against the wall at the bottom of the window and took out my locket that I've always had and always worn. It contains one photo of my mother and father, and it made me feel sick that my village had been lying to me about them my whole life. My life could just be a lie. I started to cry, because I could finally know who they were, who I really am, and in reality I was completely alone. I wanted to have parents, to know who they were, to be loved by them, but I'll never have that. I was sat there for about five minutes before I heard footsteps, and I tried to get up but my ribs hurt so much that I couldn't move.

"Mineko.."

"I'm fine, go back to sleep." I spoke whilst struggling to stand up. But instead Gaara came and sat by me, even though earlier he just abandoned me and my cell.

"why did you just leave us Gaara?"

"I knew you'd be able to make it back, and it would have attracted less attention to both of our cells. And you wouldn't want to be hanging around me anyway. I'm hatred itself Mineko."

"Just because you're a Jinchuriki doesn't mean that you're alone. There are people who care for you, even if you can't see that. You have people that care for you. I have no-one. I am completely alone."

"My mother and father are dead. Because of me! I killed my aunt, and I've killed most of the people I've ever met!"

"My village told me I had killed my parents when I was young. That I will never amount to anything. I may not be a jinchuriki, but I know how it feels.."

"I've been rejected by the entire village, and the Kazekage, my own father, ordered for my murder when I was six years old!"

"I've never had parents! I might have a brother who I've never even known existed! I've always been alone! The only person that speaks to me is my sensei, and my team mates are only here with me so that they can pass the exam! My sensei detests me, and all I know I have taught to myself." I looked at my locket as it normally soothed me. Normally.

"Gaara, we shouldn't be arguing with each other about how bad our lives are. It's not exactly going to help us pass our exams, is it?" I gave him a smile. "Oh, I need my bag... Well a small jutsu can't hurt, can it?" I used my gravitational pull jutsu to gently get my bag from where I had left it. I found my hair tie inside and quickly put my hair into a messy bun, whipped off my shoes and put my bag and shoes neatly against the wall.

"Ok, that did hurt.I don't know about you, but all the fighting has really tired me out. At least we have another 4 days eh?"

"Mineko, how do you keep so happy?"

"I am just looking forward to the future. The freedom I can have. The happiness that I can enjoy around people that I love. Even though I don't have that now, I can look forward to having it. It is part of my goal for life, as well as proving my worth as a ninja and a person." Gaara was looking at me with such shock and intentment

"But I can't really say how you feel. I think the blonde boy Naruto, the one from the alleyway, will understand you the best. He is also a Jinchuriki, but he hides his sadness. He's tried to take a different aspect of his life, and I think you could both learn from each other."

"How do you have such a positive out look on life, even after all that's happened to you? Why are you not filled with hatred?"

"I told you. My goals and ambitions for the future. Think of all the things we could change, do differently. We can overcome all the difficulties that we face now. We can change the future for the better, and all we have to do is reach our goals in life. Be happy. Even if you're on your own, trying to find even a little bit of happiness can help you. Life isn't always about hatred, and sorrow, and revenge, it's about learning from your past and making the future better..." I winced because my ribs seemed to have gotten worse.

"Are you ok Mineko?"

"Yeah, don't worry about me."

"You should get some sleep. I'll stay here with you if you want me to.."

"Ok, but you should sleep too." I gently lowered myself to the floor. "Goodnight, Gaara."

"Goodnight, Mineko." He lay down beside me, and watched me falling asleep.

"Gaara, go to sleep."

"I am."

"I can see you watching me, it's a little bit creepy..." I gave him a little smile just to show I was joking.

"I'm keeping watch, ok?"

"Watch of my face?"

"Haha, ok, ok. Night."

We both slept until late morning, and were woken up by our team mates searching for us, and finding us asleep next to each other.

I was half asleep, and I could hear Temari and Jirou talking about us. Talking, is quite an understatement.

"Where is he? He was here la... WHAT ON EARTH??"

"For gods sake where is that brat... Mineko?"

"Did you two leaf ninja know about this?!"

"...what... Oh great..."

I started to sit up, and groaned. "What are you doing? I was asleep..."

"WHAT ARE YOU TWO DOING??"

Temari had also managed to wake up Gaara.

"We were sleeping Temari, what else does it look like?" He gave her a death stare.

"Well, we are going back to the village today to rest whilst the other teams finish. You can sleep once we get there."

"Fine."

"Are you lot coming too?"

Jirou was giving me evils. "I suppose we should. Seems better than staying here. Come on, Mineko." He said.

The sand ninja disappeared as I was struggling to get up off the floor.

"What do you think you were doing?"

"Sleeping. It's not a crime now is it?"

"With sand ninja it is!"

"I hardly call that sleeping with him. More lying on the floor near him. What harm is that going to cause?"

"Just don't go near that boy again. I don't trust the sand ninja, do you, Haru?"

"I just don't trust that boy, there's just something about him..."

I felt angry about them saying those things, even though I didn't really know him either. "He's similar to me, he understands me, he is a good person!" They both gave me dirty looks, so I sighed. "Can we go now? I'd rather get there before everyone else arrives."

I used my transportation jutsu to take us back to the village, and I ignored them for the four days that remained until everyone had finished. I spent those days by myself, still dreaming about my family, my non existent family. I dreamt up what I thought my brother would be like, and for once I wanted someone to be there beside me, even if it were just to taunt me.