Chapter 5 ~ UNKNOWN

It had orders to fulfill. Find the traitors, bring down their vehicle, destroy their leader Sid Dobey.

So easy. So simple.

It had conducted hundreds of assassinations. At least, it thinks it did. It can't remember.

It can't remember its name, its face, its voice. It didn't know if it had a heart, a free will, a family. It didn't know what it was; and it never thought about it, not until that dark-haired girl kicked it in the face for her dear leader, for her family.

It remembered the girl standing fearless, bold, beautiful, then it remembered her in its grip as it squeezed the life out of her throat.

Stop! A gravelly voice commanded, sending signals to its every wire, screw, nerve. Don't kill her. I want her alive.

It always knew whenever the voice was watching it, its every movement, its every glitch. And the voice knew that it would always obey.

"Let me... take you... Eden!" It scrambled out.

Take her! The voice demanded. Bring her to me!

The girl peered into its eyes—and he felt. A refreshing air of freedom into its empty soul. It didn't understand. It never felt this, or felt anything.

It felt a part of itself cracked. For a microsecond, it didn't feel the hover of its master in its head.

I'm human!

What was that? A thought crashed like a tornado into him and sent hormones of good and tenderness and fear into its bloodstream.

It felt—dare it say?—human.

Stop!

It didn't know whether it was its master's or its own voice that shouted through its mind. It felt an ancient, an impending force thunder in its head to seal that crack but—

"Save...me..."

What was that?

It spoke. It said words. Save me?

It never heard its own voice before. It never felt this tender, soft part of him bubble through his system. What did that other voice say? I'm human?

But that was impossible.

Stop! This time, the voice snarled, a thundering growl that seized his mind and body. He had to get away, had to get the voice out of his head—

What happened? He can't remember. And he didn't care.

Which was why he embraced the darkness after he let go of that girl and fell.