Chapter 12

In the entirety of Amber's time knowing of Jack Wilder, she had never seen him scared. Granted she had only met him twice. However both instances had been extremely tense and fear inducing. Yet Jack had never even flinched. On the contrary, he had been positively beaming when she had chased him in New Orleans.

But now nothing could hide the fear that was filling the young man's brown irises. Jack didn't even flash his usual uncaring smirk her direction before racing towards an unmanned cop car.

Amber didn't run towards him but turned around and ran back to the taxi she had seen first. After running around to the front, she opened the lady's door.

Needless to say, the little woman wasn't too pleased to be thrown out of her car with a warrant thrust in her face.

"GET BACK HERE YOU-!"

Amber didn't stay to hear the rest as she sped off in pursuit of Jack.

Jack's stolen black car took a sharp u turn and flew back down the street at the cops.

Amber followed and nearly hit someone who leapt into the street.

"FBI OPEN U-"

"RHODES SHUT UP AND JUST GET IN!" Amber roared out her window. She kept her eyes focused on Wilder as he sped down an alley.

Rhodes obeyed and sat down in the passenger seat but not quietly.

"Journey? I told you to stay put!"

"And I," Amber paused as she flew down the alleyway in pursuit, "Ignored you."

"Yeah, I noticed," Rhodes snarled back as he gripped the dashboard.

Jack made another left before speeding through an intersection just as the light turned yellow.

Amber glanced up at it as she flew threw it then made a mental map in her head. Jack was taking them away from the city. Towards the East Kensington Bridge.

She could beat him there.

Without missing a beat, Amber wrenched the steering wheel to the right as Jack went left down another back alley.

"What are you doing?!" Rhodes screamed in her ear. The seatbelt made a noise as he strained to look behind them towards where Wilder had turned.

"HE TOOK A LEFT! YOU LOST HIM!" Rhodes roared.

Amber stayed silent and pressed the gas pedal down flat on the floor of the car.

Rhodes stared at her for a moment before slumping back in his chair.

"Well done, Journey," he spat venomously, "Really great job of losing our only lead. I can always count on you!"

"What is that supposed to mean?" Amber snapped back, forgetting her plan of explaining where she was headed.

"Oh I don't know maybe New Orleans might ring some bells?" Rhodes retorted coldly.

"Rhodes," Amber began in a dangerously low voice, "I explained-"

"That you saw three Horsemen, shot one AND THEY ALL GOT AWAY! Yeah I know you told me your 'story'," Rhodes said, placing emphasis on the word, story.

"Look Rhodes-"

"No," He interrupted, "No okay I'm done "looking" because you better start being honest with me, Journey. I want the truth. Are you working with The Four Horsemen?"

Amber stared at him, which made her speed through not one but two red traffic lights and nearly kill four pigeons.

"WHAT?"

"Are you working with them?" He yelled back, "Are you another Horseman?"

"Are you?" Amber shouted in return.

The utter preposterousness of the situation would have made her laugh if her nerves weren't so high strung. How could either of them be working with the magicians?

Her heart missed a beat.

Because if an agent was a mole in the agency then it would explain everything. How The Horsemen were always four steps ahead. How they always knew when to run. How they always knew where to go.

What if someone was orchestrating this whole thing behind the facade The Four Horsemen?

But who could it be? A faceless agent with no time in the spotlight? Agent brainless otherwise known as Cowan?

No, it had to be someone thought to be so thick skulled and idiotic that no one would ever guess their true identity. Someone, who despite working with the FBI for a long time, never revealed anything about themselves.

Utter and complete shock flooded Amber's system. The answer was so obvious it was overlooked. Overlooked by everyone, but her.

Her shocked emerald eyes met Dylan's.

"It really is you," she gaped at him, "You're the Fifth Horsemen."

Dylan gaped at her.

"You are! It all bloody fits!" Amber snared. She smacked the palm of her hand into the wheel as they paused at a light. She glanced over at Dylan, who's gaping mouth had closed into a smug line.

"Yes, I am the one in control of all this," he said quietly.

His dark eyes met hers and his mouth turned upwards into a cocky grin.

"And there's nothing you can do about it."

Amber ran her tongue across her teeth as the light turned green. Her eyes caught on a familiar black car and her foot danced across the square pedal.

"Watch me," she muttered before speeding after Jack.

Ignoring Rhodes's screams to slow down, Amber merely pressed her foot down harder till it touched the floor of the little cab. She dodged around a little silver PT Cruiser trying to get directly behind Jack. Unfortunately, he accelerated and flew in front of a bus.

Amber pummeled the center of the steering wheel which blared the horn for all of the state of New York to hear.

Dylan swore on the top of his lungs as she pulled the car around the bus far too close to the cement barrier.

"JOURNEY, FOR ODIN'S SAKE SLOW DOWN!"

Amber laughed mirthlessly and tightened her grip against the steering wheel. Her knuckles shone white against the ebony plastic.

Just as she was about to soar past the bus, Jack's car swerved across her lane into the concrete barrier.

AN-
There will be two updates today!!!!! Then I will leave you hanging as I go off to Haiti for a week!!!!

YAY MISSIONS TRIP! YAY SERVING GOD! So happy!!!! And excited!!! Thank you so much for your prayers!!!

Don't know if the wifi will work there so don't count on updates...perhaps I will but I'm not sure...Sorry...Enjoy the two chapters today!!!!!

-LM

Miss you all already...