Escape

• Dedicated to Kenshin

Note: I took a section from the last chapter and used it for the start of this one. It just seemed to fit better. Hope it doesn’t cause too much confusion.

Escape

Dedicated to my old Japanese buddie Kenshin for letting me steal his name for one of the characters in the Then chapters. He still doesn't know xD

Jacob let out a long whistle as we entered the garage. In front of us stood a silver Porsche. I knew precious little about cars of any sort, but the shiny logo on the hood of the car tipped me off. The car was in pristine condition considering we were in the midst of a zombie apocalypse. Aside from the thin layer of dust coating the body, it could pass as new. The car was sleek and shone brilliantly. Inside the seats were made of shiny leather, which I doubted wasn’t real. It was missing the convertible top that I’d always admired so much in cars, but considering what we were about to do that wasn’t a huge loss.

“Hells yeah!” Jacob whooped as he ran his hand across the roof of the car. He bent down and sniffed the car in an extravagant movement.

“Orgasmic,” He sighed happily as he opened the boot and began loading the food we’d scavenged from the house.

I couldn’t help smile myself as I circled the car, admiring it’s curves and streamlined features. I reached out and gently pulled on the doorknob. The car door slid open smoothly.

“Oh no,” Jacob stopped me as he saw me approach the driver’s seat. “I’m driving.”

“Like hell you are,” I scoffed, climbing inside the vehicle. Inside the smell of leather was unmistakable. I ran my finger tips over the dashboard before clasping them around the steering wheel, bouncing slightly in the comfortable seat.

“I’m serious,” Jacob told me as he closed the boot and came around to my side of the car. “Get out.”

I smiled sweetly at him, “I’m fine thank you.”

His eyes narrowed. “Get out.”

I began softly humming as I practiced turning the steering wheel. Not a particular tune, just whatever came to my head.

“Have you ever actually driven a car?” He asked skeptically.

“No,” I answered, still not taking my hands off the wheel. “Have you?”

He scratched his chin, “Well, no.” He admitted. “But I’m older than you.”

“Well… I’m more awesome than you,” I told him, sticking my nose up in the air.

Jacob decided on a new tactic and stepped back. “Okay then. Have fun driving without these,” He bent down and danged the car keys in front of me.

I reached out and tried to snatched them from his hand but he was too fast and pulled them away. He lowered them again and I shot my hand out, determined not to become a cat trying to snatch her toy off her teasing owner.

“Uh uh uh,” He tsked, again pulling them away just before I could grab them. “You’ll have to get out of the car if you want to grab them.”

I growled and reached for them a third time, again in vain. On the fourth time I shot of out the car and dove forward, clasping them tightly in my fist. I pulled backwards to try and get back into my seat but Jacob hadn’t yet released his grip on the keys. He too pulled back and ducked under my outstretched arm, squeezing past me and into the car.

“Oh no you don’t!” I insisted and yanked back on the keys as hard as I could. I saw Jacob’s hand tighten slightly with the strain to hold on but the keys stayed put. He leaned forward and moved to bite my hand, causing me to instantly release the keys.