T h e n

Then

It was all I could do not to burst into tears as we watched the helicopter fly over our heads.

“Oh God! This cannot be happening!” Kenshin shook his head in fear.

“You bastard!” Emily threw a rock high into the air at the helicopter, though she knew she couldn’t hit it. “You coward! You shit-faced cu-“

“We’re dead.” Adam whispered. “We’re dead. Dead dead dead dead dead.”

“We’re not dead.”  Evan told him. “We’ll be fine. They are probably just getting reinforcements or something. They are coming back. We just have to wait here till they come back. That’s all.”

“Don’t be such a moron.” Emily scolded him. “Those assholes aren’t coming back. They don’t give a damn about us.”

“Dead. Dead dead dead dead dea-“

“They will come back! They wouldn’t just leave a group of kids here to die. They wouldn’t. We'll just wait here and survive till they get back. Then we are home free.”

“Stop kidding yourself! Those pieces of shit aren’t coming back for us. If we stay here we will die. We have to keep moving.” She instructed us. She and Evan had been arguing all day. A natural leader, jock and a rebel who had problems with authority weren’t the best mix, especially in a crisis.

“If we leave, there is no chance of rescue. We will be stuck out here till we die. Which won’t be far off. We stay.”

“-Dead dead dead dead-“

“Those zombies won’t be far off. No one is coming back, and, if they were, all they would find would be the mutilated carcasses of five teenagers.” Emily insisted.

“Dead dead dea-“

“WE’RE NOT DEAD DAMN IT!” Evan yelled at him. Adam immediately silenced his rambling. He looked at the ground, his eyes glistening as if he was an inch away from crying. We all were. We’d fought so hard, killed over a dozen zombies and made our way to where a helicopter was supposedly going to take us to safety. And now it was flying away with all our hopes.

It had been fun to begin with, sure. Our day dreams were becoming a reality. A part of us had almost wanted this to happen, just so we could finally play out our fantasies and kick some zombie ass.

And it didn’t disappoint. I’d killed three zombies in total, and after the initial shock of my first kill I couldn’t help but grin as I took down the next two. It just felt so…badass.

But the novelty had worn off pretty fast. We’d lost three comrades. That had been hard. I barely knew any of them, but it was still tough losing them. Adam had good reason for his hysterics. James had been his best friend. It was more than likely all my friends were dead too, but it was one thing to suspect it and another to watch it happen. That sort of stuff can screw a person up permanently.

And it hadn’t exactly been enjoyable watching the madness as people panicked and were massacred by the undead. Sure, we had been desensitized a fair bit by the countless movies we watched, but it was still horrifying. This was real life. These were real people dying, not just paid actors falling down. Things had gotten bad pretty fast. One moment we were in class minding our own business and the next we were in the streets listening to the screams of absolute terror as our neighbors, teachers, familiar faces from around town were reduced to mutilated bodies, their organs and blood laying several metres away from the rest of them. And once they were dead, it wasn’t long before the started coming back.

We were tired, hungry and terrified. Our bones ached, our clothes were splattered with blood and our throats were raw from screaming. We just wanted to go home.

But there was no home anymore. If our families were still alive, they wouldn’t be for long. When the infection first came we didn’t have time to think about our loved ones. Now, watching our last chance fly away, the prospect of death ever present, it all flooded back. None of it seemed real. They couldn’t be dead. It just wasn’t imaginable. We knew they were dead, but we didn’t believe it.

Evan and Emily continued to argue, but almost halfheartedly now. They both knew that neither option was the right one, neither would help us survive. It was more that they had to continue arguing because there was nothing else left to do. Nothing but sit here and wait for the inevitable. And none of us were ready to accept that we were all going to die.

It was relatively quiet now, but it wouldn’t be long till the next wave came. Then there would be more killing, more running, more using up energy we didn’t have till we simply couldn’t go on. We needed sleep. But it was more than that. We needed…

“Home,” Kenshin murmured. “I want to go home.”

We all turned to look at him. Even the two bickering fell silent.\

Home,” Adam agreed. Tears began to flow freely down his face. “I want my mum. I want my dad.” He fell to his knees and began to wail.

“I want my mum! I want my dad!” He repeated as he sobbed.

There were tears in everyone’s eyes now. All but mine. My eyes were too dry, too sore to produce tears. It didn’t seem real. It was like a dream I knew I would never wake up from.

Evan rubbed his eyes and took a step back, facing us all.

“Home.” He began. His voice was loud and commanding, like a voice one would use to make a speech. If no one took charge then we wouldn’t move, and he knew this. He really was a natural leader. In another time, perhaps he would’ve become president, or governor. But this was not another time, and any ambitions held before weren’t important now.

“We need to head home. Any of our houses within walking range we haven’t been to we need to go to and see if there is anyone there. We’ll get supplies, find other survivors, and then head to my place. It’s around an hour and a half’s walk, but it’s out in the country. We got guns there, and the walls might be old, but they are strong. We got acres of spare land, so there shouldn’t be many people, or zombies there.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Emily said, looking him dead in the eyes. She didn’t smile, for smiling would have been inappropriate, but in her expression was something much more. Respect.

Those were the last words she ever spoke.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, sorry for the very late upload. Editing took a while. As you may have seen, I have started a hp fanfic, but I promise that won't take time away from this. Key words: Side Project. This story is my main focus. 

There will be several more of theses 'then' flashback thingys from the first infection, which is so that it slowly reveals her past and shows how her character has developped from who she was B.I. to who she is now (really it's because they are just so darn fun to write!) So I hope you like them :) If not, tough. Enjoy.