07: the games we play

this is a painted doll x scorpion drabble based off "the devil's carnival", which belongs to darren lynn bousman. i take no credit for the characters or plot. look at the end for a brief summary of important things that show up in this drabble.

he's with a different foolish beauty every week, but he'll always come running back to her when he tires of his little flings.

she's infinitely patient with him, and with him only. she'd wait an eternity for him. and, although she knows that the love they share is purely sexual, she still want to believe that he truly loves her somewhere deep inside his blackened heart.

he's the only one she's ever uttered a word to. a simple word, really. he had asked for her name, and she told him it. doll. it was what she had always been called, but this was the first time that she had directly told someone to call her that.

sometimes, he says that he misses tamara. it's something akin to grief or even guilt, she thinks. and those emotions confuse her greatly when she sees them in him. all she's ever seen in him is charm, burning desire, passion, lust. she can't help but feel jealous that his strong, true emotions are directed towards that silly girl.

at times, she too finds herself thinking of tamara. she was a pretty little thing, but a blind fool to trust him.

she was once able to convince herself that she trusted him, but as time goes by, she slowly becomes disillusioned with him, and their love seems to vanish day by day.

but she understands why tamara fell for him. why she trusted him. his charm. his good looks. his sweetly outdated fifties slang. his radiant smile.

it makes her sad to think about it, though. she had thought that tamara was going to be different from all of his other girls.

she wasn't.

she was exactly like the rest.

she let herself fall too hard.

she trusted him.

hope you guys liked that drabble! it was based on the short musical horror film, the devil's carnival. the painted doll is the main character in this little drabble, and in the movie, she's a mysterious, unpredictable woman who is dubbed "the painted doll" and has a crack on the side of her face that marrs her beauty. the scorpion is the man mentioned several times, and he's the "bad boy" of the carnival, which is basically like hell, by the way, and has a knife-throwing act in which he straps pretty, unsuspecting girls to the wheel (it's a very pretty wheel ok) and throws knives right near them on the wheel. but, in tamara's case, he "kills" her again. it's hard to explain. tamara is a beautiful but innocent sinner. she was killed by her abusive boyfriend, and sent to the devil's carnival for her sin of trusting too easily. she had an evident crush on the scorpion once she got to the carnival, and he charmed her easily. it's all quite confusing. i hope you liked this!