Chapter Four~Family Reunion

“Supper’s ready.”  Caroline called from the kitchen.  Guy got up from his chair and stretched.

“Good.”  he said.  “I’m starved.  Come on Ally.  Don’t dawdle.”

Everyone sat round the table in the dining room as Caroline dished out the pasta and passed the bowl of sauce to Guy.

“Did Nana really come to Robin Hood’s rescue, and Poppa’s. too?”  Ally asked after they gave thanks for the meal.

“Ally, you are relentless!”  Guy exclaimed.  “Can’t you wait until we are finished with supper?”

Caroline spoke up.  “I’d like to hear some of this story you are telling, Guy.  Your parents lead fascinating lives.  Please continue, if that’s alright.”

As Guy loved telling about his parents just as much as his kids loved hearing them, he was just about to continue when a commotion was heard at the front door.

“Hello.” two voices boomed; a deep baritone and a lilting feminine voice.  

Lucas called from the hallway., “Anybody home?”

“We’re in the dining room.” called Guy.  “You’re just in time for supper.”

"And some of the tales of Lucas and Aylaina!”  piped in Ally.

As Aylaina and Lucas made their way into the dining room, everybody rose and hugs were given all around. 

“Oh, Caroline!”  cried Aylaina.  “You made your fabulous spaghetti!  I’m famished.”  She immediately sat at the large table and made herself a plate. Lucas drew up a chair and dished up a large plate for himself.

“What’s this about the tales...?”  Aylaina was asking when Ally interrupted.

“Now you can tell us, Nana and you, too Poppa.  Daddy’s been telling us about the time you traveled back to Sherwood Forest!”

"Well that makes for light supper conversation.”  Lucas joked.

Young Guy, who hadn’t said a word since he sat at the table spoke up.

"Dad was just telling us about when you and Robin got put in the dungeon by Prince John.  You know, when you put mud on your faces to make you look old.”

“Oh, you mean like the way I look now.”  Lucas laughed.

“You know, Dad.  that’s funny, but you and Mum look younger every time you come back from a travel”.  Guy said, perplexed.

“That’s only because we don’t age when we time travel.”  Aylaina explained.

“No.”  Guy returned.  You two are getting younger.”

“Nana!”  Ally interjected.  “You tell some now.  I want to hear it straight from the horse’s mouth.”

Everyone laughed at her remark and Aylaina took a deep breath.

~~~~~~~

After Lucas washed the mud off his face down at the river, I decided to show him a place where we could be alone.  Besides, he’d never been back in time and I thought it would be interesting for him to see how different his country looked in 1197. 

We walked a fair distance from the camp to a cave where Robin hid the Byzantine fire after my first travel to Sherwood.

‘Lucas.’  I said.  ‘Let’s sit here.’  We walked into the cave to where some blankets were laid and sat down.  We leaned against the wall..