Chapter 3 : Summer Beach

Chapter 3: Summer

The rest of the summer flew by. Lance didn’t talk to us, but us four went to the beach as much as possible. Elle was on an ice cream sugar rush half the time, Alix was still as pale as before, but Aaron had a pretty amazing tan.

The week before school started, all four of us stayed at Aaron’s beach house at the Cape.

The house was really nice. It was white, with cream and sand colored shutters, doors, and many glass windows. It was overlooking the sea. The water was a little choppy, but warm, at least compared to a couple beaches north. The waves crashed against the rocks as I waded through the water. Elle stayed on the beach suntanning, and Alix actually swam around. How she could bear the salt in the ocean, I don’t know, but we were all doing different things.

Right when we had gone to the beach, Alix had put on her swim team swim suit and threw on her goggles, then dove into the water. After swimming breast stroke for a while, she was out of sight.

Elle had thrown on her bikini and laid out her beach chairs for everyone. Then she put on some tanning lotion and laid down. I never understood what was so great about sunbathing, but she could do whatever she wanted.

Aaron had thrown off his shirt, showing off his abs to the nearby girls, who giggled loudly. I rolled my eyes and shrugged, threw on a ton of sunscreen, then walked off to read and walk through the crystal clear, slightly green water, rubbing my toes against the smooth pebbles and soft sand floor, kicking up water every so often. I had my nose stuck in a book. Aaron joined me after awhile, since i guess he thought tanning was boring too, and Alix had disappeared, as she always did.

We sat perched on one of the tallest rocks, letting the water splash against our ankles. It was quiet except the soft squawking of the seagulls and the quiet crashing of the waves. The air was warm and calm, and the sun was at a comfortable angle. I smiled at Aaron.

“Thanks for inviting us to come with you to your beach house.”

He smirked, still in flirty guy mode, “No prob. I’m sure Elle’s thrilled. And Alix. And maybe you I guess...?” His voice went up as a question.

“Yeah, beaches are so beautiful, so peaceful.” I said, looking longingly at the sky. The clouds were a puffy white, like white cotton candy. It was as if you could reach in the sky and pluck it out, then place it onto your tongue, and let it melt slowly, savoring the taste.

He mumbled something unintelligible.

“Huh?”

“Oh, nothing.”

I rasied my eyebrow, not saying anything. I shrugged to myself at looked back at the sky. In the distance I saw Alix’s heard bobbing up and down. I stood up and waved frantically.

“AAAALLLIIIIXXXX!!!!!”

Her tiny head turned in the vast ocean, and her hand came up to wave back.

Aaron chuckled and looked at me, then he abruptly looked nervous.

My eyebrows furrowed and I frowned at him. “Something wrong?”

He shook his head, but looked nervous anyway. “Umm... can I tell you something? You’re not allowed to tell...” his index fingers were flexing nervously.

“Yeah?”

“Uhhh... I like...”

“HI GUYS!” Elle yelled from behind.

“..pie?” he finished.

Elle cocked her head to the side in confusion. “Huh? Aaron likes pie? I like pie too!”