Chapter 4 : Mall Time

Chapter 4: Mall Time

       “Truth or Dare?” Elle asked, while we were driving toward the mall, to do some “fun” shopping.

       For me, shopping was a form of exercise. I bet I lost more weight shopping than I did running around a pond with my parents.

       “Dare,” Aaron said. “Oh, sweetest Ellie, please be kind.” He put on a fake puppy face.

       Knowing Elle, the dare would probably be along the lines of Hello Kitty or eating candy canes. She put on the famous Elle “thinking” face, and murmured, “Yes, that. No, this.”

       Meanwhile, Alix was driving, and we’d pulled up next to the mall. It was late afternoon, and it was pretty crowded; it would’ve definitely taken a long time to find a parking spot. We were circling around, looking for open parking spots as Elle was still thinking hard.

       Suddenly, my head smashed, rather painfully, on the ceiling of her car. The bad side of being kind of tall: your head hits the top of the car a lot, especially if you’re in the middle seat in the back. Not good for your brain cells, or anything else for that matter.

       “Ouch.” I muttered, rubbing my head and hoping that nothing bad had happened. Elle’s face was still scrunched in a thinking look but Aaron’s head had hit the glass, and he was still trying to shake himself out of his daze. Thankfully, the glass hadn’t shattered under the impact of his incredibly hard head. No offense to him, but Aaron’s head would probably do more damage to the glass than the glass could do to him.

       I looked up toward the front. Alix looked like she was shock. After all, we’d just hit a car. Or vice versa. Whatever. Lance just looked surprised for a moment, but the busily went fussing with Alix and making sure she was okay. His feelings were so obvious! None of us seemed seriously hurt.

       I glanced out of the car, taking a look at our surroundings. No other cars were around except the parked ones. There was an open space, which both cars, ours and the other’s, were probably trying to get. The other car’s black bumper was smushed into Alix’s bumper, which reduced the damage, but they had both been going pretty fast.

       Alix slowly climbed out and looked at the guy nervously. After all, he was pretty menacing looking, with the muscles and hard frown. He had dark red, spiky hair, with dark grey eyes. He looked the build to be a football player, and looked like he was in college.

       Lance was already by Alix’s side, trying to help her the best he could, and I got out of the car to give her some moral support.

       “Uhh... uhhh... insurance?” Alix stammered.

       He nodded slightly, his dark red hair bobbing on his head. I couldn’t help but think he was pretty cute, in a kiddish teenager-ish way, even though he was the football hottie type at the same time.

       “Kay,” he said, putting on a warm smile, and he took out a scrap of notebook paper, fishing around in his hoodie’s pocket for a pen. He couldn’t find one.

“Hey, you happen to have a pen?”

Alix shook her head, “Sorry.”

I looked up then, and grabbed a pen from my pocket. I threw it at him. “Here.”