Chapter 15

"You hate them, the vampires. And now you're with one?" Chase was shaking with anger in front of me. His hands were literally pulsating as he used them to emphasize each of his words. "Are you even listening to me?"

I blink at him. "Of course. Just trying to... everything you're accusing me of."

"Ohh, Alexis. C'mon at least be honest with me. I saw the two of you, and you're not going to tell me that what I saw was a 'just friends' encounter."

"Well Chase, sorry to have to really drive this home, but you and I are just friends... And that one time the two of us kissed di-"

"No. That's not the same thing. You pushed me away, but you weren't pushing him away."

When exactly did he see me with Tyler? Various excuses of how to come up with a reason for being with him ran through my head, but none of them would suffice. I blew out a breath, he was right. I had to be honest, and if I was truly honest with myself... I didn't even fully understand why I was with Tyler. "I'm sorry."

He closes his eyes and looks down, visibly trying to make himself calmer. "Just please help me understand Alexis. Why him?" His green eyes now bore into mine, causing me, once again, to wonder the same thing.

"I don't know." was all I could manage.

"That's all you can say?" He exploded again. "I am trying my best to stay calm here, but you are not helping. Just why, Alexis!"

"Chase. I will try to explain, I really will try my best, OK? But you have got to calm down," I use a gentle, yet firm tone.

"Fine. Help me then."

I swallow as I try to think of an explanation to his questions. Something to justify why I would 'sleep with the enemy.' And ironically even though I hadn't, Tyler had used the same thing against me this morning. Internally, I felt a single, overwhelming emotion, exhaustion. Utter and complete exhaustion from everything the past few months had brought on. Once more, I felt I was on the verge of tears. This simply was not supposed to be my life.

Shaking my head, I offered Chase something. "I'm learning, okay? I'm learning here that just because you are something doesn't make you someone. It's who you are, not what you are," and as I said it, I realized it was true. If Tyler were human I probably would've fallen for him all the same. "Ross is human, yet I think of him as an enemy. Why? Because of who he is. Tyler is a vampire, yes. But I think of him as friend because of who he is and how he treats me. Chase, I really hope you can understand this. I don't know if were 'together' anymore, but I do think of him more as an ally than I would have thought."

He gives me a quizzical look, clearly taking time to process my words. "So, what you're saying is that you're not together anymore?"

I throw my hands up in defeat, "Agh, Chase! Out of all that, that's all you got? Really?"

"Well?" He looks at me, un-phased.

"No. I don't know! I mean the whole reason I got into it with Ross was because of a fight with Tyler... One that I'm not entirely sure we can recover from. But I know he is still a good person."

"Well," he huffs, pulling his hand over his head awkwardly. "I guess that helps me a little. If you guys are fighting..."

"Chase? No. okay? I can't keep telling you that I don't feel that way for you, I just-"

"I don't care about that," he looked offended, almost angry. "But it does help to know that you're at least not currently with him. Just to understand it, for now."

"OK..." Silence. "Well," I shrug my shoulders and play with the weapon in my hands. "I think I'm going to get back to this now." I offer a small smile before turning back to the target, taking a breath, and releasing. Amazingly, I hit the target, having done so with barely any thought.