thirty eight

The roughness of Aaron's shove and the malice behind it hurts more than the impact of my body on the floor. I stare up at Aaron, my eyes damp, completely appalled at his actions.

Harry's eyes ignite in rage as he steps forward and shoves Aaron back, hard.

"How dare you treat her like that," he sneers. Fear takes the place of anger on Aaron's face as he hits the wall.

I seem glued to the floor as I watch the events commencing before me.

"I know you want her," Aaron snarls, recovering from his fear. "I know you've been after her since--'

"You're wrong," Harry snaps. "Rose and I are only friends."

"Oh, I wrong, am I?" A wicked smile crosses Aaron's face. "Don't even lie, you're so full of--"

"You don't know shit, Doctor Boy, and if you'd like to keep your intact, I advise you shut your filthy fucking mouth." Harry's voice is rough and low; threatening.

"Right, I'm sure the accountant here can really do shit to my face," Aaron taunts and Harry steps closer to him.

I push myself off the ground. "Aaron, stop! Enough already. You've made your point. Just leave."

Both look to me.

Aaron looks like he's going to burst into flames as he looks back at Harry.

"I want your despicable ass out of here, now," Harry says lowly.

Aaron turns back to me.

"Rose," he says. "Come on, we can work this out."

"Are you kidding?" I scoff. "You think you can treat me like shit and then 'work it out' with me? No way."

Aaron looks between Harry and I. "All right, I'll get out of here," he says, his voice having an edge to it that sends chills down my spine. "But I know something that you would much rather keep secret. So watch your backs." My blood runs cold at his words.

Aaron grimaces at us a last time before turning on his heel and disappearing into the stairwell, his angry footsteps echoing as he descends the stairs.

Harry looks over at me.

"Are you all right?" He asks me quietly.

I nod and push my hair out of my face. I feel so weak. I've always wanted to be strong, and independent, but I suppose that's one of my tragic flaws--I'm terrified of being alone.

"Come on," Harry says, nodding towards his apartment. "I'll make tea."

I shut my eyes for a brief moment, a headache brewing in the back of my skull. "My relationship with Aaron sucked but...I still feel really alone right now and I--"

Harry turns back toward me, a sad smile on his lips. "You don't know alone like I do, Rose."