one

4 months earlier

I sit perched on my small couch, staring at the phone.

I've barely had time to unpack anything or put anything into place because I've been staring at my damn silent phone for the past thirty minutes.I've only been in my new apartment for three hours, and all I've been doing is wait for this stupid phone call.

My eyes flick to the clock. It's six thirty. Weren't they supposed to call at six?

I sigh and stand up. I might as well unpack to pass the time.

Just as I open a box holding some of my clothes, my phone bursts into song and I scramble for it. I practically jump over the couch, accidentally knocking the phone onto the ground, uttering "shit" under my breath as I slide it open, catching my breath.

"Hello?" I answer breathlessly.

"Hello, Miss Knight? This is Marion Johnson from Crystal Publishing."

My heart leaps to my throat. "Yes,hello."

"I'm calling to inform you that your interview went very well the other afternoon, and you got the position. Congratulations." The woman, Marion, on the other line sounds smooth and bussinesslike.

I try to match her tone. "Thank you very much," I manage to say without sounding too overexcited.

"You begin Monday, where you will be assigned a desk and meet with your boss, Mr Greenman. I look forward to seeing you around the office. Have a lovely day." And with that she hangs up.

I make sure my phone is safely locked before jumping into the air, flailing around in a twisted victory dance. This is the job I've been dreaming of since I was a teenager, and now I've finally got it.

I quickly pick up my phone and dial Aaron's number.

"Aaron," I gust into the phone. "I got it. I got the job!"

I hear him sigh. "Rose, honey, I'm at work."

I instantly deflate. "But...I got the job. The job I've wanted...forever."

"And I'm happy for you," he says. "But I really have to run,duty calls--"

"All right,fine."

"Don't be mad Rosie. I'll take you out tonight, how about that?"

A small smile makes its way onto my face. "Okay."

"Perfect. See you tonight."

I put my phone down and face the stacks of boxes that line my apartment. I sigh and begin to unpack.

Aaron and I have been dating for a few months now. We met when I was visiting Portland from New York. I immediately took a liking to him, and when I told him I was moving here, we began to go out.

He works as a medical intern as he finishes med school. I don't really blame him for not having much time for me; his job is very important and busy. I know he'll make time for me later-- he always does.

The apartment I moved into is small on most people's standards, but it's big enough for me. One bedroom that overlooks the Pearl District, my favorite part of Portland. It's very close to Crystal Publishing,which was my intention even if I didn't end up getting the job. I guess I was pretty intent on getting it, anyway.

I've always thought the Pearl District is the best part of Portland. Maybe it's all the aspiring artists and writers in this area that I like, but something about the atmosphere makes me feel instantly at home. Granted, it was hard to find a decent apartment within my budget, but with Aaron's help we found this place. And I love it.