Chapter 9

~Alex's Point of View~

I hate this. I hate that. My father has no idea what it's like to be under the pressure that he is putting me under. School just started. I just got my license. I just turned 16. Now he wants me to get a job!? How about you get your lazy ass up and get a job yourself! But I need a car first. I sighed as I looked at the ceiling, Am I even worth something to him? Besides a prized possession. I hate it here so much. I need to get away. Away from here with my friends.

I rolled on my bed as I tried getting some sleep. All I can hear is my drunk father yell at my sweet mother.

How does she put up with his shit? She has so much patience I can say that. It's literally the same shit different day. I hope one day she leaves him for good. She deserves someone else than this fool. They have been arguing since she has come home, which is usually 3 or 4 a.m, 2 hours before I wake up but I just can't sleep with all of this fighting.

I slowly got out of bed and head to my bathroom to take a shower. "Why can't you just be proud of him? He makes amazing grades and all you've done is criticize his ability to do anything. It's no wonder he hates you." I heard my mother say through the door. "Hates me?" My father spat at her, "He doesn't hate me. I'm tired of all the trouble he causes in school. It's all because of you. You cause him to be uncertain with his life decisions." He argued back.

What bullshit... I sighed as I got out of the bathroom dressed for school.

"And where exactly are you going?" My father spat at me, drunk, as he turned at me. My mother left the room to get into bed. She is emotionally and physically exhausted from work and arguing with Dad. "Do you know what time it is? Of course not because you're a drunk fool." I spat back at him, "And I'm getting ready for school."

"The hell you aren't, you need to get yourself a job first!" He snarled as he got closer to me. His breath instantly hits my nose, making me completely nauseous. I remained calm, "It's against the law in case you haven't noticed. I'm required to go to school so I can graduate. But you never listen anyway. Always drunk." I muttered under my breath as I go in the kitchen to grab a Poptart from the pantry.

I can feel my Dad's hand on my shoulder, it was a firm grip, "Boy, you ain't going to school and that is final!" He snarled again as he gripped my shoulder harder.

"You can't control what I can and can't do! I make principal's list every year and the worst part is I could be doing drugs! But all you care about is getting drunk all day and all night! And you can't see it because you are a very sick man!" I shoved him away from me.

I'm so over it. So over this bullshit. Why can't he be proud of me?

"Where is the car you promised me? Or is that just another lie you fed down my throat?" I say as my voice got louder and I heard a knock at the door, It's Derek. Thank God he is here. I waited for my father to say something but I didn't have the time to. Always stubborn. I grabbed my bag and slammed the door as I walked out and see Derek seeing there.

"Morning bud." I say softly as I walked beside him, "Sorry if you heard anything in there. He just doesn't get it." I looked over at him. He nodded, "I understand. But remember, you have your mom. Think of her. She'll leave him one of these days. He has no control over you and her." He says looking at me, "Let's go to Tabitha's then school and pretend that never happened. Yeah?" He gave me a small smile.

I nodded, "That'll be nice. I could use it." I say with a smile back to him, "Thanks for being the best friend I could ever ask for." I gave him a playful push and we made our way over to Tabitha's.