Part 9 - Take Me To Your Leaders

President Wormsley found the Martians to be much more subdued when he visited them in their hotel room the next day. They apologized for their actions at the reception claiming that they hadn't been feeling quite themselves. They were able to tell President Wormsley the names of the Martian leaders and how to contact them. They also asked if he could send more fruit salad to their room because they really liked it.

With the information the Martians had given him, President Wormsley was able to radio a message to the Martian Capital. Before too long the Martian leaders responded with radio signals of their own. President Wormsley extended an invitation for them to visit Earth. The Martians responded that three of their most important ambassadors would be honored to accept the invitation and that they would board a spacecraft immediately with a scheduled arrival at Earth in two weeks.

When he returned to his office President Wormsley found one of his aids waiting inside. "Sir, I'm afraid we've received a complaint from the hotel."

"What's going on?"

"Well, sir, it seems our Martian friends have been throwing furniture out the hotel window in an apparent attempt to smash pedestrians on the street."

"What the hell is wrong with those guys?" President Wormsley sighed and held his head. "Well, something needs to be done with them." He stood thoughtfully for a moment. "I've got it. We'll turn them over to the scientists. Let them conduct tests. Possibly dissect the fuckers. We're always in need of more scientific knowledge."

"Sir, pardon me for questioning your wisdom, but is it wise to let the scientists dissect the Martians? I mean, don't you think they might be missed?"

President Wormsley laughed. "Who's going to miss these guys? They aren't anyone important. As far as I can tell they're just a couple of hippies who like to cause trouble. We'll be doing the Martian government a favor by taking these delinquents off their hands. No, these guys aren't important. It's the ambassadors we'll be wanting to impress. We can't have anything going wrong while the ambassadors are here."

"Whatever you say, sir," the aid said as he left the office, leaving the door open behind him.

"What the hell?" President Wormsley shouted. "Doesn't anybody shut the fucking door around here? For Christ's sake!"