Daughter of a Dead Man

Happy New Year’s

The rest of the holidays past quickly as they always do. We spent Christmas morning opening presents and eating everything Santa Clause didn't eat. That morning I received a watch from my aunt, a new jacket from Blair and a homemade pinwheel from Jack.

New Year's Eve was spent watching movies, playing board games and charades.

Jack slithered across the floor toward me.

"A snake!" I shrieked. Jack high fived me, yawned and lay next to me on the couch.

"Getting tired?" Blair asked him, nudging his leg with her elbow

"No," he said through another yawn. We all turned back to the bowl of charade pieces.

"It's empty!" Aunt Jane laughed, "Blair! We won!"

The two of then high-five, but quickly collapsed back into their seats. They laughed and discussed the game for a few minutes, reliving all their favourite moments.

"What do you want to do, Jack?" I asked the little ball on the couch. I got a long sigh from the sleeping little boy.

"Looks like we have a sleeper," Aunt Jane chirped. She scooped Jack into her arms, carrying the small boy to his room. Blair let out a long sigh and put her head back on the chair.

"We only have fifteen more minutes," I chuckled.

"I'm just feeling a little pregnant," Blair hissed. That word had become a new swear in our house. We didn't want Jack finding out too soon, that means baby talk had to be put on hold.

"Sorry," I mumbled.

"Its okay," Blair slowly lifted her eyes open.” I was thinking, Jason or Lillian."

"What?"

She let out a tired giggle, "For baby names."

"You mean you're going to keep it?" I asked, flustered.

"Well, I dunno. I have to talk to Seth about it. If I keep it, I want his support."

We fell silent when Jane walked back into the room. Aunt Jane wasn't too pleased about the new addition to our family, but she wasn't exactly mad either. She seemed to be avoiding the subject, acting like if we never talked about it, it would just go away. Although, it wasn't and I didn't want to talk about it either. It, whether it was a he or she, scared me.

"I would pull out some wine, but I would be the only one drinking," Jane chuckled as she threw herself onto the couch.

"I'm almost--," Blair cut herself off and laid her hand on her risen stomach. Her face suddenly looked horrified, although the thought of having this child to take care of just settled in. I could feel a heavy atmosphere settle upon us and for a moment no one spoke.

"I think I'll go to bed early," I pulled myself off the couch and walked into the washroom.

"Happy New Year's," I whispered to myself. After running water over my face and brushing my teeth, I headed to bed.

School came all too soon. I sat at my lunch table, far back in the shadows where no one normally came. Except that specific day, for some reason a person sat across from me.

"Haven't heard from you in awhile," Jeremy said.

"We hung out during a blizzard because we had too," I pushed my uneaten food aside.

A cheeky grin played on his lips, "But we had fun."

I rolled my eyes and huffed. My eyes traveled around the lunchroom, watching people live there normal teen lives.