Ch. 4 New House, New Grounds

The Next Morning, twenty minutes after sunrise, 5:55.

I woke up at the crack of dawn as usual. Wolfe has not awoken yet, I'm waiting for him to show me the house so I can familiarize myself with it. I've already cleaned his room and rearranged his books from their disarray to the dewy decimal system.

Wolfe didn't wake up till quarter after nine (9:15). He woke up and groggily walked into the bathroom which connects to his room he then walks out looking confused. He looks in my direction  and asks "did you move everything in the bathroom?"

"Yes, I cleaned everything in the bathroom as well as in here," I replied, "though I haven't cleaned the rest of the house as you haven't granted me permission to leave this room yet."

"Permission granted," he stated as he motions for me to leave with a dismissive wave of his hand.

I finally leave the room, intent on making the Sixx's breakfast then I remember that I didn't get a tour of the house yet so I don't know where the kitchen is. I don't remember passing a kitchen on the way to Mr. or  Mrs. Sixx's studies, so I decide it's better if I don't get lost on my first day here and wait for Wolfe to exit his room and show me around.

Around 30 minutes later Wolfe exits his room showered and changed. He heads down the hall in the direction of his mom's study, I tag along wanting to see more of the house.

He taps on the study door and she calls him in.

"Good morning mom," he says.

"Morning?" she asks, "It's nearly afternoon and you have yet to eat breakfast. Your tutor has been waiting patiently for you to arrive since Eight!!! Hurry down to the kitchen, grab something quick and get to your lessons! I still have a load of work to do! What are you waiting for? Go!!!!"

Wolfe then hurries down the stairs located in the middle of the hall, down another corridor, and through a door most likely to the kitchen.

When I make it through the door I find a kitchen that looks like it came straight out of those magazines that were splayed nicely on the table in the reception room of the orphanage, the ones we weren't supposed to touch except to dust the table they rested on. It looked stunning, as if it had never been used. Wolfe had already left the room through another door and I don't know which (there were four doors not including the one I just came out of) so I decided to look into each door to see if there were any clues as to which one he went through.

The first door on my right was a (really nice, spacious) bathroom. The next one was a huge pantry that was probably six times the size of my old room at the orphanage. The third door opened to a hallway with many doors on either side and turned to the right. The final door opened to another hall this time without any doors and went left. Because I didn't want Wolfe to find me missing I decided to stay in the kitchen. I spotted the cookbooks neatly shelved in the corner looking untouched in years. I went over and read each title: Baking 101, 100 Easy dinners, 51 simple meals, etc. I picked one up and opened it to a random recipe: Chili.

I remember a good chili recipe from the orphanageone of the older girls taught me.

Pineapple Chili:

1/2 lb ground beef (browned)

1/2 onion

2 or 3 cloves of garlic

20 oz diced tomatoes (1 can)  

8 oz tomato puree (1 can)

16 oz kidney beans (1 can) drained and rinsed

16 oz can diced pineapple (1 can) 

1.5 cups of rice (optional)

Everything can be substituted for something healthier, recipes are just guidelines.