Chapter 18- End of Exams

''I can't believe it's our last exam tomorrow!'' Annie says.

''Thank God, I'm tired of revision every night,'' Johanna sighs, sitting up from staring at her text book.

''You can hardly call what you do revision Jo,'' I laugh, shaking my head. ''You've hardly done any studying since the Ball,'' I told her. Months had passed now since the 'Spring Mascaraed Ball', and school had really clamped down on us, preparing us for our Summer exams- which thankfully ended tomorrow. We'd all been consumed in a world of text books and past papers, cramming for our upcoming exams, and tomorrow it was all over and the Summer break was about to begin.

''Well you try learning about stars and gamma rays when you've hardly turned up to any lessons this year, then tell me you wouldn't be doing the same- I couldn't give two shits,'' she laughs. ''Honestly, the biggest amount of bull I've ever studied in my life,'' she says, sighing.

''It's not our fault we actually went to class,'' Annie says. ''We told you to come, but I think I remember your words being 'Screw it. I'll catch up later','' she frowns, shaking her head.

''Alright, alright. Enough of the lecturing- I should have gone to class I get it,'' Johanna sighs. ''Now, let me cram for tomorrow morning, or I sure as hell won't be passing physics this year.''

''Not that she barely passed last year,'' Annie whispered to me, making me laugh.

''I heard that,'' Johanna sings, narrowing her eyes jokingly.

''You were meant to,'' Annie smirks, giggling, before turning the page in her study guide and making her notes.

I flipped through my book, my body so tired from revising I'd turned to the 'it probably won't come up, so I don't have to revise it' phase as I passed small sections of the course. Back home Gale used to help tutor me science, in return for me helping him pass history. I sat there, thinking of the past and going home for the Summer- our long ago memories resurfacing in my mind of the days where we'd lounge by the lake all through the day, in a peace so calming it made me forget the outside world was real. Realising I couldn't hold the death of my sister over him forever, I signed onto Facebook, messaging him about tomorrow's exam- if I had to spend Summer at home, I may at least make an effort to attempt to enjoy it. He replied almost instantly, and although I still couldn't shake away the anger and disappointment of losing my sister, I made an effort- I guess he tried his best. I spent the rest of the evening talking about everything from school and exams, to life back home and my mother...my mother who hadn't made the effort to talk to me since I returned back to school after the funeral. I was never the favourite.

When it got late, Gale gave me some last bits of advice for the exam, and then we said our goodbye's. ''Right, well I'm off out for an hour so I'll see you both when I get back alright?'' I say, swinging my legs from my bed and slipping on my converse.

''Katniss, it's past ten and lights out,'' Annie mumbles sleepily.

''And we're up early for a revision session before our exam,'' Johanna reminds me.

''Yes I know, I won't be long. I just need to see Peeta- it's one of the last opportunities before summer. I'll be back soon,'' I tell them, leaving before either of them could protest. With the end of the school year coming, we had a couple of days and then graduation, and after that we'd all be going home. I wanted to spend as much time as I could with Peeta before we broke up for the summer, the distance between us was too far apart, and so I knew we'd only see each other every so often- I wanted to make the most of what we had.

I walk through the courtyard, the crisp air biting at skin as the night grew darker and the air grew colder. I spotted Peeta's dark silhouette leaning against one of the tree's and walked over, snaking my arms around his side and pressing close as he kissed the top of my head. ''Hey,'' he says softly, his arm wrapping around my frame.