Chapter 1

Yuuki had been nervous about the mission; the reason why she had trained a bit beforehand.

She knew she could fight; it wasn't that, but she cared about her people-her friends. She didn't want to let any of them down and wanted to live up to their expectations. To be seen as something in their eyes. It was this determination, however, that stopped her from backing down. There wouldn't be any chance of her proving herself if there was no situation for her to be in. This, though, was her shot-and she couldn't let herself let it pass her by. She would only regret it in the future and it would haunt her for the rest of her life.

No; no matter what, she was not giving up on this.

And as she set off, her certainty in her abilities came back to her. She knew she was a high level ninja, and though she didn't consider herself as powerful as some people out there; those she had heard of in legends and stories and who she considered to be role models...she knew she could do this. Even if she had been alone, it would have been within her reach, and as such she picked up her pace a little. She was leading this team; she couldn't allow herself to give in to doubt; not when they had a mission to complete and a job to do. The Hokage wouldn't have selected her for this job if she wasn't ready for it, and it was this thought that fully comforted her as Yuuki continued on, nodding to herself as her destination arrived up ahead.

Immediately her training was put to work, Yuuki automatically knowing what she had to do without even having to really think about it. Her weapons were at hand and always ready in case there was danger; but she was hoping she could avoid it for the most part. One thing she had always been good at was solving things quickly; if there was trouble, it was often Yuuki who would come up with the plan and help everyone escape. Now she was the leader on this mission; and that fact was ever more important-but narrowing her eyes and taking a deep breath, feeling the chakra running through her veins and the knowledge of all the techniques within in her mind...it would be easy to handle.

Everything had been going normally, doing what was necessary and travelling quietly so as to keep a low profile. What it had been that caused things to turn to violence, Yuuki hadn't really known. No one had been particularly bothering her; in fact, it had been pretty quiet so far along the mission. But then this guy had approached Yuuki and her team when they had merely been standing around, and getting up in Yuuki's face, he had threatened her. At first, she had ignored it-she had more important things to be concentrating on-merely brushing him off and stating she wasn't here to fight or get involved in anything-but she hadn't had a choice when he'd thrown a punch a second later, several of his friends joining in quickly.

Things had happened so fast from there.

The battle had begun, and soon her whole team were fighting so many people; they had come out of nowhere. It only started out with a few, and yet suddenly ninjas were turning up on all sides, cutting off all exits. There were changes of scenery, explosions; blood...all Yuuki knew was that she had to keep going regardless of what this day would throw at her. For her village and her team. Which is why she was so determined when she found out one of her teammates had been taken. She had made a promise to herself and to her teammates, and she couldn't let them down now-she was going after him. She had raced up to the place where they were keeping him; taking in the building and the surroundings and coming up with a plan. Things had to be done carefully, however; the battle had given injuries on both sides, and she didn't want her friends to get hurt.

But with her guidance and leadership, they were getting the chance to rest and build their strength back up. It never occurred to Yuuki what she was really doing; all that she was focused on was the protection of her team and the finishing of the mission. She merely adapted to the situation, nothing more. Glad that everyone was feeling better, Yuuki finally advanced, managing to slip through the guard's defences and straight to the cell where she'd already sensed her teammate was. Releasing his shackles, she put his arm around her neck, helping him to stand and getting him out of there. It was harder than to begin with; his injuries made him slower and meant progress followed in the same way. But still, Yuuki persevered, until eventually they were outside, and they fell back to catch their breath.

The mission, however, had been far from over, and things had only gone on from there. So much fighting had occurred, passing like a blur before her eyes. Taking lives was not exactly a pleasant thing for Yuuki-but it was her job; she had chosen to be a ninja and accepted all the hardship, work and violence that came with it. It was a part of her now-she loved fighting, and although missions may have gotten hard, it didn't matter. Nothing could stop her from being a ninja; from doing what she loved, and protecting those who needed her help. There weren't many in her life she was truly close to.

But she would never turn her back on anyone she thought was in need.

All Yuuki focused on was what was in front of her; to the point where it was a surprise to find everything was over. The battlefield was silent, and though her breathing was heavy and her body battered and bruised, she was still standing. And better yet, as she glanced behind her, her friends were all there, injuries on their bodies, but alive, nonetheless. They all smiled at her, coming over to congratulate her on the good job she'd done as their leader; but that now it was time to head back to Konoha.

To go back home.

It was just what met Yuuki there that surprised her. Crowds had gathered as they walked through the town, and it seemed like it was ninjas as well as civilians. Wondering what had gone on while they had been off on their missions; Yuuki had continued through the streets, heading to the Hokage's building, frowning in confusion. But when she saw ninjas gathered outside there, she couldn't help but turn to her friends and ask what was going on; what had happened to draw everyone out into the streets like this? Why was the Hokage standing in front of the building-who was he waiting for? All Yuuki could do was blink and stare in surprise as they responded with a laugh and one simple word.

Her.

A sudden surge of embarrassment swept over Yuuki, not knowing how to react to his news. Still laughing at her sudden shyness, they pushed her onwards and towards the Hokage. Everyone had heard what she had done; what she had sacrificed to save her teammates as well as having completed the mission. Everything that she had done was already becoming legend; and that was why everyone was out in the streets. That was why the Hokage was standing in front of the building; to thank and congratulate her for all that she had done for the village that day.

Yuuki had been embarrassed, but at the same time, a sense of pride and happiness rose within her; it allowed her to walk forward and meet the Hokage-although still not quite sure where to look or how to act in the circumstances. So many people were there; all smiling and nodding in acknowledgement of her, and she had had to look down at the floor. All she had done was follow protocol; it was her job as a ninja of the leaf to get the mission completed and protect her teammates-it was nothing special.

Hero wasn't a title she'd give herself; a thought that echoed round her brain again and again-

As she opened her eyes and reality came back to her.