chapter eleven

AALIYAH

I was graduating, finally. It felt good because to me it meant I had finally achieved something. I was graduating with a 4.5 CGPA, I was proud of myself and I expected no one to tell me they were proud of me, so I told myself frequently.

I was glad Raina had decided to stay longer for my graduation. It had been great hanging out with her and although she had changed a lot, I understood because I knew what time did to people. Sadiq? Well, things were still the same with him, but something seemed off. He always avoided Raina, yes I noticed, so I concluded he either didn't like her much or he was just shy. I was too busy though with preparations to dwell on it.

RAINA

Yes. It was finally D day and I had everything planned out. Rohypnol, check.knife, check. Axe, check. Just kidding, I wasn't crazy, just the Axe part though.

''you guys need to be there at ten. Please, don't be late,'' Aaliyah said rushing the words out and haphazardly grabbed her gown and purse, and then turned to my Sadiq.

''Sadiq,'' she smiled seductively as she hugged her gown. Snake.

''I won't be late,'' he replied from the dining table where he was having breakfast. Fries, egg, coffee and just the right amount of Rohypnol.
Go bitch, I thought but instead I flashed a smile and said, ''go, you can't be late .we'll be right on time,'' I lied.

''ok bye,'' she whisper yelled before rushing out. When she gets back, I was sure nothing would be the same again.

SADIQ

I could feel Raina's eyes on me as soon as Aaliyah was out the door. The past days had been like a horror movie, with her always staring at me and sneaking up at me. Ever since I told her I was never going to love anyone but Aaliyah, she had backed off a little, but not before threatening me with an if I can't have you, no one will' speech. She was crazy and definitely not the same girl I used to know and I wished Aaliyah could also see it too.

RAINA

''so how was your night?''

''what now. What do you want?'' he asked irritatedly as he munched a big bite of sandwich into his fine mouth.

''nothing,'' I smiled, intertwining my fingers and sitting on the sofa, never taking my eyes off him.

He picked up the mug from the table and brought it to his mouth. He took a big gulp of coffee before pushing the chairs backwards and picking up the dishes to the kitchen. He was so disciplined, I thought, and beautiful. Too bad I had to do what I did. I had no other choice.

A few minutes later, I heard the sound of dishes smashing on the floor and I knew the drug was beginning to take effect. In a few hours, everything was going to change for the better. I deserved Sadiq, he was mine, he would always be mine, I just had to make him see it.

AALIYAH.

I couldn't believe it. I was beyond pissed, confused, my thoughts were a complete mess.

I waited to see Sadiq walk through the door at my graduation, I waited for Raina. I watched as people took photographs with their families, watched them share laughter. I saw the proud look on the faces of their families, I watched them hopelessly, miserably, knowing that they had everything I wanted.

Despite my anger, I couldn't help but worry. What if something had happened to them? Were they okay? What if they had been involved in a car accident or a fire? I searched my phone again, but they were no calls nor messages.

As soon as I got home, I asked the security man about Sadiq and Raina and he said he hadn't seen them come out of the house all day long. I felt my heartbeat rise as I went into the house. If they were okay and had chosen not to attend my graduation, what was I supposed to say to them? And if something had happened to them, what was I going to do?

The house seemed quiet and they were no traces of neither Rains nor Sadiq. I checked for Rains in her room but she wasn't there and even when I called their names, they was no answer, so I went upstairs to Sadiq's room.

"Salam alaikum," I said and without waiting for a reply, I flung the door open and came face to face with my worst nightmare. A thousand times I had wished I hadn't opened that door and even more I wished what I saw wasn't real.

Her naked body lay next to his, with his arms wrapped around her and her head laying on his bare cheamst.

I felt my grip loosen and the sound of my purse and keys falling to the floor, my legs weakened, but my gaze stuck to the sight in front of me. I felt blood drain off my body, I struggled to stand straight but I couldn't as I fell to the floor on my knees.

"Please, don't be real", I shut my eyes and whispered over and over again.

"Oh honey, it is real."