Chapter Two

Chapter Two

The Party

Waking up from the dream, I had so many questions jumbled in my head and no answers. How had that man known my mother's name?

I couldn't understand it. I tried to search for an answer for how he knew my mother.  

He could be my mother's boyfriend, but that didn't make sense. I knew my mother would never cheat on my stepfather. My mother wasn't that type of person. 

He could be an old friend of my mother's, I thought, or someone she once knew like an ex-boyfriend. 

Did he even exist? For all I knew, my mind could be playing mind games with me. Or, I could just be out of my mind?

And, what connection did my mother have to the necklace he had asked me about?

I put the dream and my probing questions aside for the time being, remembering I had planned to go to a party that my friend, Shana, had invited me to.

I had on a black mini dress with a black purse to the party, along with a black smoky eye and blood red lipstick, and black mascara on my black eyelashes. The party was after dark so I sat in my dark room, waiting until my mom and stepdad turn the lights out in their bedroom. I guessed I had fallen asleep during the process. I am planning to sneak out when they have fallen asleep. I have no idea when that will be.

I looked at my clock, my clock saying: 10:42 pm. I assumed Shana was waiting outside until I could sneak out.

I stood up from my bed and walked over to the mirror over my dresser, to check everything was alright. I checked if I wasn't too pale because I tended to worry about that. I checked my coal-black hair, if my mascara hadn't smudged, if my makeup hadn't smeared, and if my clothes hadn't wrinkled. When I had fixed everything that needed fixing and I grabbed my black high heels, I went over to my window and clambered down the oak tree that was outside my bedroom window.

Silently, I ran over to my car. Standing next to the passenger seat of my car, I slipped on my black four-inch heels and hopped in. Shana had drove my car, a silver Lexus, out while she waited for me to climb out of the house.

"Do you have the street address?" I asked as I seated myself in the passenger's seat.

"Yes," Shana answered as she pushed on the gas pedal and we sped off to the party.

* * * * 

To the party, Shana was wearing a mini turquoise Gucci dress with designer silver heels and a new designer handbag, complementing her mid-back length acorn-brown hair and her blue eyes.

When we came to the party, Shana parked the car in a cal-de-sac in front of the house.

The house was in one of the richer areas of my town. From the dark, I could see the house was white with black shutters on the windows. Light shone from the lower levels of the house as the party had already started. 

Thanks to my falling asleep, Shana and I were about half an hour late to the party. 

We both got out of the car and slammed the silver car doors shut. Shana locked the car with a beep of her key and handed the key pad over to me.  

As we walked in, Carried Away by Passion Pit was blasting out on huge stereo sets along a wall on the left side of the room. Shana walked around the party greeting everyone while I tagged along behind since I really didn't know anyone there.

Suddenly, a group of girls called Shana and I over.

"Hey, girl!" a drunk, skinny blond in the group of girls asked Shana.

"Hey, Rach!" Shana greeted back.

The drunk tall, skinny blond offered Shana and I some alcohol in a red plastic cup with a white inside. While I refused, Shana drank down two shots.

Shana hadn't told me that this party would have alcohol so I was beginning to feel that it was a mistake that I came.

After having a third shot with the girls, Shana ran off somewhere, leaving me standing with those girls. I didn't want to stand next to these drunk, horny girls so I found a place I could stand near the wall.

The wall was plain, and I couldn't tell color it was exactly, but I assumed it to be a kind of light purple. There were a few pictures on the wall, but I couldn't tell what they were about.

So far, most everyone here ignored me. I stood near the wall, waiting for Shana to come back so I could ask her to leave. I waited about fifteen minutes and she still hadn't come back so I went searching for Shana. I found Shana in the dining room when I went down a cream-colored hall with a few paintings adjoining the living room with some of the girls I had seen earlier. She was speaking with some girls and drinking. 

"Shana?" I spoke softly.

"What do you want?" she barked .

"I think it's time to go home,"  I said. 

"No! I want to stay here!" she said. 

"Shana--"

"I'll catch a ride tomorrow,"  she said as she gulped down another shot. "I ask one of the girls."

"Yeah, she can catch a ride with me," the tall, drunk blonde who had called us over said. 

"Are you sure?" I asked. 

"Yeah," she said as the a shady blonde poured her some more tequila, missing and pouring some of it on the floor. She took another sip. 

"Go! We don't need some pooper soaking up the room!" the tall blonde said. 

"Alright, alright. Laura call me tomorrow please," I said. 

"Okay," she said. 

I walked into the hallyway, back into the living room, and out the front door to my car. 

I went around to the driver's seat of my car and slid in. 

I drove around in a circle and down a road that led to a exit of the mansion. 

I set my address into the GPS system of my car and followed its' directions. It told me to go left into the woods. 

I looked at my car clock: 1:30 am. Is it already that late? I didn't feel quite so tired. 

I turned left and started driving down the road.

* * * * 

It was about an hour since I had left the house where the party was at. 

I was driving when out of nowhere someone ran out of the woods in front of my car. 

Not having time to stop my car, I hit the person. 

I might have just killed someone! I thought.

Wanting to calm my conscience, I opened the door and stepped out of the car. I slammed the door shut. 

When I walked around to front of the car, the person I had hit with my car....

Mr. Kiasea.