Picture 3

She awoke groggily, early morning sunlight filtering into the room through the doorframe left ajar. looking around only made her more confused. She remembered nothing after blowing up that building, yet here she was. Strapped to an operating chair in a metal room. She tried to sit up, and pain raced up from her thigh. Turning her head, she threw up onto the tile floor.

"Well good morning, sunshine. Looks like someone is going to be fine."

"Where the hell am I?" She asked, hoarsely.

"You are among the living. Awfully good thing too. Would have been a bad job on my part. The wound wasn't too bad, though. Just a whole lot of blood. How're you feeling?"

"Besides feeling kidnapped and operated on? like I could throw up again, and like someone's stabbing my leg."

"That would be the painkillers wearing off, and probably what woke you up. Headache too?"

"Like hell."

"Ain't we a ray of sunshine? Here, take these," he said, handing her two pills and a glass of water. "Travis should be here any minute now."

"Who are you talkin' about? Where am I, anyways?"

"Travis? You'll recognize the bastard. As for where you are, you're in my surgery, of course. What's your name, anyways?"

"I think you'd best tell me who he is now."

"You'll remember. Or at least, you'd better. You've got yourself serious problems if you don't. Y'all have to set out pretty soon apparently, too. Now, you're just makin' me more curious. What do you go by?"

"I ain't goin' nowhere like this! My leg hurts like shit!"

"That's what the pills are for. Weren't you paying attention?" She crossed her arms across her chest.

"Savannah. What's it to you?"

"Well just wait here, Savannah. He'll show up eventually. Although, it's not like you're going to go anywhere..." he said, walking into the outer room.

Travis woke up on his cycle, one arm thrown over the handlebar. He sat up and stretched out, smacking his lips. Rubbing his face, he sat back in his seat. Then he remembered. He sat back up and climbed off the seat, putting his hat on his head and walking clumsily up the stairs.

"I'm here to collect, doc," he said, once he was through the door.

"It's about time, she ain't exactly a morning person, Travis."

"She's not an anytime person, if we're being honest here."

"Now, it's not nice to say things like that about ladies," The doctor said, jokingly. He walked to the back room, and motioned for him to follow. After a particularly colorful exchange of pleseantries and threats, the two walked out of the office and into broad daylight.

"And why should I be helpin' you, again?"

"Like I said, you've got yourself a reputation. And I'm going to need what you've got it for."

"Which is...?"

"A way with explosives."

"And what will you be using them for?"

"There's a town a few miles away. A very rich town, with a bank to match."

"How typical," she said.

"You'll get your share, quit bitchin'."

"Well, since you've captured me, shot me in the leg and knocked me out, I guess I've got no choice," she snarled.

"That's the spirit, darlin'. Let's go."

He started up the cycle and they shot out of town away from the sun, towards the promised land. Cactuses and old broken down cars flitted past them as the white-hot orb and the temperature climbed steadily higher. After a couple of hours, the first buildings rose over the horizon to greet them. Clouds began forming far in the distance, beyond the line of rooftops. He sped into town and parked the bike, and Savannah stood up to climb off the cycle. She grimaced, and pulled her leg over the seat of the bike.

"Now tell me it doesn't hurt that bad."

"Why would you care? You're the asshole who went and put it in my leg. Let's just go."

Travis shook his head in amusement and climbed off too, turning off the cycle and pocketing the key. 

"The bank's around this here corner, and I've got explosive material in the trunk. Let's just check it out first, then set up the stuff."

They rounded the corner and walked towards the bank. Policemen were swarming around the building, aerocycles and cars scattered across the road. Looking at each other questioningly, they turned around to walk the other way. But someone had noticed.

Lasers began firing around them, as they broke into a run. Pain seared up her leg, but she forced herself to keep running. Just before they were about to make it, a car came to a stop right in front of them. The energy holding it above the ground sent swirls of dust clouds up into the air, blinding them. The policemen closest to them held their hands behind their backs and attached handcuffs, then minutes later shoved them into different vehicles and drove away. The whole scene lasted not even ten minutes.

Pulling up alongside a landing pad, the drivers stopped and pulled the two out of the car. The pair looked at each other accusingly, assuming the other ratted them out. Eventually, after piles of paperwork, they were locked up in dingy cells onboard the massive ship. Clouds gathered darkly overhead, and became an eerie green as they took off to the other end of the planet.