Picture 2

He pulled into town just as the sun sank below the tops of the buildings. She still hadn't woken up yet, and there was blood soaking onto his leather seats. Having a dead body hanging around wouldn't exactly help anyone. He pulled into the nearest doctor's building, shutting off the cycle. Picking her up, he climbed the stairs two at a time and barged through the door.

"Hey doc! You in the back?" He called. The doctor walked into the main room from a side hallway, wiping the blood off his hands onto his dingy apron.

"Travis! Good to see you again! Or not, maybe, for you. What's the problem this time?" He began, cutting off when he saw the unconscious girl bleeding from mid-thigh.

"What the hell kind of scrape did you get yourself into this time?"

"I don't want to answer any questions doc, i just need her conscious and fixed up."

"Did you knock her unconscious too? God, you're quickly turning into my best customer and worst nightmare."

"Glad to hear such high praise from you, doc. Can I take her on in?" Travis said, motioning towards the operating room with his elbow.

"Yeah sure, I'll be in there in a second. Just, don't touch anything, okay?" He said, glaring at him. Travis grinned evilly and walked through the door into the operating room. Laying her down on the chair, he turned and began perusing the metal shelves. Soon, the doctor walked in and started washing his hands at the cold, aluminum sink.

"What was it I just said about touchin' stuff? Oh yeah, don't," He said, turning off the tap. He pulled a paper towel from the stack and wiped his hands quickly, then crumpled it up into a ball and tossed it into the trash can. The doc walked over to the unconscious patient and checked her breathing, then her heartbeat.

"Well she ain't dead, so calm down. But you're gonna need to leave now and let me work in peace," He said. Travis mumbled in consent and walked off towards the exit.

"Come on back tomorrow mornin', Travis. If you don't get yourself killed in a bar fight first."

"Aren't we just full of one-liners today, doc? Dead bodies not giving you enough company?"

"Get out, Travis, before I have half a mind to use my scalpel for evil, not good." Frustrated, the doctor turned back to cutting the leather away from her leg, as Travis walked out the screen door. Stopping at his aerocycle, he took a look at the small town he stopped in. The main drag had a few stores and offices, and a couple of bars across from each other. He lowered the brim on his wide hat to keep the setting sun out of his eyes, and walked across the busy road to the saloon he arranged to meet at.  Whoever he was meeting wouldn't be too pleased about him arriving partnerless, but it wasn't like he could do anything about it.

He walked through the double hinged doors that were typical of a saloon, stopping in front of them. Illuminated from the back, he stood in front of the drunks and barflies in the cave-like building. He looked around once, then made his way through the packed room to the bartender. He caught his attention, and the man set down the glass he was cleaning and walked up to him.

"I'm lookin' to meet up with someone, you know if he's here or not? Might've asked for me, Travis."

"Well sir, I think I know who you're talking about. He's there yonder in that back room. Awful strange fella to be meetin' with, though."

"How do ya figure?"

"Well, you'll see." Travis looked at him strangely, then headed towards the dimly lit corner of the room with a heavy oak door. He opened it, and was immmediately greeted with the stench of cigarette smoke and cheap beer. Walking through the smoke cloud, he turned and shut the door behind him.

"There's only one of you," a voice said, though the haze. He walked closer to the table and sat down.

"Yeah, there were some, well, unavoidable circumstances."

"That sure is a lot of talk for someone here by themself. Where are they?"

"Well, that's the problem. She's in the surgery until tomorrow mornin'."

"Sure is. And I suppose you expect me to tell you everything now?" Travis shifted in his seat to get a better view of him. He was a small man, but beyond that he couldn't be sure. His face was hidden in shadow.

"Would be mighty nice of you, considerin' this's got to be done as soon as possible."

"Funny thing about that statement, is I'm not known for being a nice person. But I suppose you're right, so you'd better listen carefully. I ain't repeating myself."