Making it Through

We spent many nights like this, side by side, staring out at the ocean, and admiring it.  The world seemed far away and forgotten when we sat there, but the world began to catch up with us.  My parents were in a rapid downward spiral, each day a new fight was started, or, rather, an old one was rehashed.  They both looked for any excuse to release their anger and frequently, that was me.  While I was getting ready to leave one night, I heard my father’s heavy footsteps outside of my door.  I tensed and the door pushed open, my father’s face in the small gap.  He looked at me with narrow, suspicious eyes, before saying,

                “Why are you still awake? Get out of your school clothes, and get in bed!” Then he slammed the door. 

                I played it safe that night and stayed in.

                But every night that week, my father came in at the same time every night.  He had suspicious and danger in his eyes, a look that told me to think twice before crossing him.  Every night that week, I stayed home from the beach. 

                After avoiding my dad’s threats, I couldn’t take it anymore, and I left for the beach.  I walked along the sand, feeling my feet sink into the soft wetness of it with every step.  As I approached Lyss, I could see her fidgeting.  When she heard me coming, she spun around and fixed me with a wrathful glare.

                “Adam.  Where have you been? Why haven’t I seen you?” She asked, her anger blazing just beneath the surface, threatening to spill over.

                “I’ve had problems with my parents.” I tried my hardest to make her understand that I did not leave just to hurt her. “I couldn’t help it. I’m sorry.”

                This answer seemed to satisfy her, for she put her head on my shoulder and began to sing of the sea.