Fragile Mind

When I awoke, I was in a hospital room.  I squinted against the harsh fluorescent light, which were burning my retinas.  I felt weak all over and completely drained.  There was an IV in my arm, and I could feel the cold metal of the needle as it gave me a drip of lifesaving nutrients.  The walls were sea foam green wallpaper and as I struggled to sit up, I saw a big window with blinds on one wall.  Through the blinds I could discern that it was light out, early morning time, but all else was shut out.

                I turned to my right, and my father was dozing in a chair.  He didn’t even stir when the doctor came in to check my charts.  The doctor looked at me and said, “Adam, you’re awake.  How do you feel? You really shouldn’t be sitting up.”

                “I’ve been better. Can you tell me what happened?  My mind’s a little blank right now.”  I didn’t remember much, just that voice, so alluring and pleasing, yet so damning and dangerous.

                “Some early morning joggers found you washed up on the beach this morning.  I was wondering if you could tell me a thing or two.  It was obvious that you had a lot of water in your lungs, like you had been drowning. So, what were you doing on the beach last night?” At first I was hesitant to answer.  Tell all that happened, or not?  He didn’t look angry, just curious. But I still didn’t like it.

                “I’ve been going to the beach at night when I can’t sleep, and that’s what I did last night.”  I was repeating myself and sounding idiotic, but I tried to continue.

                “Even though you knew there was a storm coming?” He interrupted, sounding incredulous.

                “Well… Yes.  I was hoping to meet someone there, and not stay long.” I lied.

                “Alright, so did you meet this person there?” He looked over at my dad, still sound asleep, no doubt judging him internally, thinking him a terrible father who couldn’t keep track of his son and didn’t care a lick that he was in the hospital. 

                “Yes and no.  I thought they were there, but I must have been wrong.  Maybe they were.”  I was sounding like a lunatic, if I kept up this way, they’d move me to the third floor mental ward.

                “Right.  So how did you end up in the water?”  Suspicion crept into his features. 

                “I… Fell asleep on the beach.”  Yeah, that sounded plausible, what with the colossal storm coming and all.  I was mentally smacking myself in the head.

                “And slept through the storm?”

                “Kinda.  I woke up and it was pouring.  Then I thought I saw my friend and I followed her.  But, I guess it wasn’t her…” I trailed off, realizing how ridiculous I sounded.

                “You just walked right into the ocean, is that what you’re saying?” He thought I was lying, or that I was loony.

                “Yes.” There was no way to possibly make it sound any better.  I just wanted to get this over with as quickly as possible, curl up in a ball, and sleep off the humiliation.

                “And you started drowning.” I nodded. “Were you saved, or did you manage to get yourself back onto the shore?”

                “Well, sir, that’s a very good question.  You see, I’m not exactly sure.  My mind’s a bit fuzzy still.” His eyebrows rose.  I glanced away from his face.

                “Was it the friend you were supposed to meet? Did she save you?”  There was a hint of mocking in his voice, and I felt myself flush.

                “I’m not really sure, due to the lack of consciousness at the time.” I snapped.

                He realized he would get no more out of me. “Well, that’s all, son.  You should get some rest.”

                “Yeah, thanks doc.”