Descendants of the sun Production

Production

Descendants of the Sun was fully pre-produced before airing which is a departure from the live-shoot production format that characterizes most Korean dramas .
The drama is Song Joong-ki's comeback project after serving his two years of
mandatory military service .

On June 12, 2015, lead actors Song Joong-ki and Song Hye-kyo filmed their first scene in Seoul.
On September 28, 2015, the entire cast and crew (including the four leads, Song Joong-ki, Song Hye-kyo, Jin Goo, Kim Ji-won, as well as supporting actors Kang Shin-il and Onew) departed for Greece .
The team resided in the country for approximately a month to shoot episodes crucial to the drama's plot.

According to Greek news portals and blogs, filming mainly took place in Zakynthos , Arachova and
Lemnos.

On November 25, 2015, it was announced that actor Song Joong-ki injured his arm while filming an action scene for the drama on November 23.
Two days later, his agency made an update on the actor's condition.
Upon closer examination, doctors determined Song had also suffered a damaged ligament to his right knee in addition to the fractures in his arm.
Filming continued with other actors and scenes that did not require Song's presence.
On December 7, 2015, Song Joong-ki returned to work only 2 weeks after he was injured and spotted filming at a station in Seoul.

The location which served as the Mowuru Company's base camp was set at the exhausted Taebaek Hanbo Coal Mine while earthquake scenes were mostly filmed at the Samtan Art Mine.
Filming also took place at Camp Greaves DMZ Experience Centre, once a US Army base camp during the
Korean War .

Filming at Haesung Hospital was actually done at the Seoul St Mary's Hospital.

According to industry insiders, the crew wrapped up the last shoot in the early morning of December 30, 2015.

The production cost a staggering 13 billion won (approximately $10.8 million) to produce.

A possible sequel is still being discussed, but whether or not the project will be realised is still in question.
Both Song Joong-ki and Song Hye-kyo, through their respective agents have declined to return for the sequel due to scheduling conflicts.
Screenwriter Kim Won-seok had also declined to write for the sequel, stating that he had told what he needed to tell. According to KBS's head of drama department, Jung Sung-ho, the planned project is set to be launched in 2017.
He too added that the planned project may involve an entirely new story than the first series.