Descendants of the sun Plot

Descendants of the Sun

Descendants of the Sun (Hangul : 태양의 후예; RR: Taeyang-ui Huye ) is a 2016

South Korean television series starring

Song Joong-ki , Song Hye-kyo , Kim Ji-won , and Jin Goo .
It aired on KBS2 from February 24 to April 22, 2016, on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 22:05 to 23:00 for 19 episodes.

The series was a major hit in South Korea and received immense popularity across Asia.

Due to high demands by fans, KBS aired 3 additional special episodes from April 20 to April 22 with 2 episodes containing highlights and best scenes from the previous episodes plus the final episode showing the drama's production process, behind-the-scenes footage, commentaries by the cast members and the final epilogue.

Plot

Yoo Si-jin (Song Joong-ki ) is the captain of a South Korean Special Forces unit .
He catches a motorcycle thief, Kim Gi Beom (Kim Min Seok), with Sergeant Major Seo Dae-young (Jin Goo ).
The thief is injured during his capture and is sent to the hospital.

Dae-young realizes his cellphone was stolen by the thief and goes to the hospital along with Si-jin to retrieve his cellphone.

In the emergency room, Si-jin meets Dr. Kang Mo-yeon (Song Hye-kyo ) for the first time. He falls in love with her immediately.

Mo-yeon mistakenly assumes Si-jin is part of the thief's criminal gang, due to his nickname "Big Boss", which is actually his call sign.
He proves to her that he is a soldier with the help of army doctor Yoon Myung-ju (Kim Ji-won ).

Si-jin and Mo-yeon begin to date, but due to their jobs, their dates don't go well.

Si-jin takes an order to lead his soldiers on a peacekeeping mission in the fictional country of Uruk.
Meanwhile, Mo-yeon is upset because she failed to become a professor because of a colleague's privileged background.
When Si-jin and Mo-yeon meet again, they talk about their views on life and realize how different they are.
Si-jin, as a soldier, kills to protect lives and Mo-yeon, as a doctor honoring the Hippocratic oath, tries to save lives.
They say their goodbyes.
Dae-young on the other hand faces a dilemma on whether to continue with his relationship with Myung-ju or risk being removed from the army by Myung-ju's father, Lieutenant General Yoon Gil-joon (Kang Shin-il ).

Eight months later, Mo-yeon rebuffs the sexual advances of hospital director Han Suk-won (Tae In-ho) and as a result is assigned to lead a medical team to Uruk.
There, Si-jin and Mo-yeon meet and fall in love again. Through their encounters in Uruk—an earthquake and an epidemic—their love for each other grows stronger.
While in Uruk, Mo-yeon accidentally confesses her feelings and the two officially start dating, much to the amusement of their respective teams.

Back in Korea, the two of them continue their dates until Si-jin and Dae-young are sent on an operation in which they disappear and are assumed to be dead.

Months pass, and Mo-yeon mourns his death, deciding to commemorate his passing with a volunteer trip to Albania.

This is where Si-jin eventually finds her after he and Dae-young are rescued from captivity by "a friend from afar", a soldier from North Korea whom Si-jin had earlier helped save the life of.

Si-jin and Mo-yeon are happily reunited. Meanwhile Dae-young goes back in an emotional reunion to Myung-ju, who is stationed in Uruk.

In the credits, the entire team is once again called into action following a volcanic eruption in Canada.