Chapter Five: Tell Me a Lie

Patrick's P.O.V.

I walked into the United Center with Hammer for a game against the Rangers tonight, it's been a couple weeks since the circus road trip and Jamie was more distant than ever. Not only to me, but to everyone else on the team and everyone was noticing it. Not that I cared or anything because I don't care it's just weird that she isn't as talkative as she was before plus it was really affecting the guys.

Not me though, I couldn't care less.

Stop trying to convince yourself, you know you wanna know why she's been like this.

Niklas and I got into the dressing room where most of the guys were getting into their grippy suits for pre-game warmups, Jamie was there with Mike setting up our sticks, padding, helmets and the rest of our gear quietly. She glanced around her surrounding and caught my gaze, I didn't look away.

Neither did she.

Her facial expression was neutral but I could tell something was wrong.

Something seems off..

"Quit staring or Mason will get you." Hammer joked.

I chuckled softly as I continued to empty out my stuff out of my bag, I looked up to find Jamie but she wasn't there.

"Nah, I don't think Mason will be bothering you anymore." Jonathan said stopping by my stall.

"What do you mean?" I gave him a puzzled look.

"Jamie caught him cheating with Brianna." Jonathan answered with his arms crossed over his chest.

"....You're kidding?" I looked at Jonathan in disbelief.

I was actually surprised to be hearing this, despite Jamie being a total bitch to me, she had so much love for Mason and she seemed so happy with him.

"Who's Brianna?" Hammer asked.

"Her best friend," Jonathan answered as he leaned against the stall. "Well, ex-best friend now."

"Ouch."

"Wow, I almost feel sorry for her." I said with a fake chuckle trying to hide my emotions.

"Jeez Kaner, try to be less sympathetic." Jonathan laughed along with Hammer. "I'll see you guys out there."

I nodded to Jonny as he walked out of the dressing room leaving me and Hammer to get ready for warmups, I began to think that maybe this was my chance to finally get Jamie to go on a date with me. It had to be, right? Now with Mason out of the picture Jamie's going to need a shoulder to cry on and I'm going to let her know that I'm here for her.

Are you really? Or are you just trying to get into her pants?

I'd rather not answer that.
---------

I was out on the ice with the team during warmups, Jamie was with Teuvo, Trevor and Vermy working on some stretches. I tried my best to focus on tonight's game but I kept thinking about her, how she felt, the person who brought her happiness broke her world and she wouldn't let anyone help fix it.