Chapter 4

So it was over.

Walkers had invaded our camp. It wasn't safe any more.

Rick had suggested we go to the CDC.
Shane decided it wasn't a great idea, and that's all I heard of it.

We had lost a lot of people. Including Andrea's sister, Amy. And Ed, Carol's husband. I felt bad for Carol, she had just lost her husband, but I didn't care for Ed. He was a huge ass.

That day, while everyone talked about the CDC and stuff, I took Butch down to the lake for a good wash down.

I wore shorts and walked into the water up to my knees, and Butch followed me, except he splashed way down into the water, swimming around joyfully.

I laughed and called him back.

He swam back, his head just barely above the water and I ran just the small bit of the bar of soap I cut off from Dale's camper and ran it through his fur, especially his paws.

Surprisingly, the tiny bit of soap managed well in taking care of most of the stains in his paws, and the muck in his fur.

After we got out I found a pine cone and used it as a brush to get the knots and tangles out of the dog's brown fur when I heard my name being called.

"Come on, you can play doggy hairdresser later. Let's go!" Daryl yelled from the top of the rocks.

"I'm comin', I'm comin', hold your hogs.." I muttered the last part, referring to Merle's motorcycle.

Me and Butch ran up the rocks, then hopped into Daryl's truck, as to which Daryl was not at all happy with a dog in his vehicle.

"You know, we shouldn't have taken that goddamned thing with us." Daryl rolled his eyes.

"Relax, Daryl." I said. "He's a good dog, and he's all clean." I smiled, patting the dog that was sitting in the middle of us.

Butch barked in response, then lolled his tongue out of his mouth.

"Ain't you an adorable thing huh?" I said and hugged the dog, which licked my head.

Then, he leaned over and licked Daryl's face, to which Daryl made a disgusted face and wiped it off.

I just smiled, shaking my head.