The Lay of Nerala, Act 5 - Part III.

"What now Nerala? You said this thing was unclean, what did you mean?"

Jerun hissed out of the corner of his mouth, yet his eyes remained fixed on the thing before them, whatever it was. Even his eyes, which were accustomed to the vagaries of the Air on a scale unknown to any of his race, were watering at the sight of the body. 

No set pattern of change was recognizable, it simply shifted from one age to another and another continually as it advanced towards them, stepping slowly forward. His hands motioned themselves in readiness for spell and counter-spell against the attack that would surely...must definitely...be unleashed. 

Yet as he stood prepared, his eyes had sufficient time to gain enough detail from the approaching figure. It seemed to fluctuate violently from within, at each step, as though at one moment it was but a child taking its first haltering steps, then a fleeting glance of a proud tall man, and a step afterwards a shuffling rambling old gum-tooth, back twisted in arthritic agony as it came, hands hooked into the painful stasis of the aged. And again, beyond the years of life, it seemed, this thing existed, for now it was naught but a rotting and fetid corpse, shambling along disgorging carrion insects by the multitude. And back once more to the haltering youth.

"Nevermind," he said, "I think I can see enough of it to work out your meaning. It is an abomination indeed!"

The four grandmasters stood apart from each other as the creature that was once Ilias came closer still, each ready in their own way to protect themselves, or each other.

Finally, having reached some unknown but evidently predetermined proximity to them, the creature stopped, as if satisfied, and slowly raised its arms and hands, palms upward.

"NOW!" shouted Osreng.

And in the now it was, that the creature was bombarded and blasted with element and spell, essence and spirit. Magic poured out in unfathomable and immeasurable power and intensity, and into the creature, knocking it back a step...two steps..three.

The earth beneath its feet glazed into blackened glass and glowed then whitehot, beyond the extremes that a normal eye could endure to gaze upon, and yet...and yet this creature seemed to regain its balance against the sheer combined forces assailing it and retook one then another and the third final step through the molten morass that was good earth but moments before.

Raising its head towards them then, arms still outstretched and palms upwards once more, it slowly closed its hands into upside down fists, and brought the fists together with a snapping finality that precursored the cessation of the magic. Exhausted but still standing the grandmasters looked upon the creature in a mixture of fear and awe, for it remained apparently unscathed by their assault. Yet these were no ordinary conjurers or summoners, nor yet mere masters of magic steeped in knowledge and power.

These were the grandmasters of the elements themselves, and they rallied their arts once more, in readiness to defeat this foul thing before them.

It was then, that the creature spoke.