Chapter 2- "She's really pretty"

Well the results came back from the paternity test, and everyone was right; Lillie was in fact my daughter. When Scott called to tell me the news, I couldn’t help but be relived. In the short time Lillie had been staying with me, I had grown to be pretty attached to her.

My parents got Lillie all settled in. My mom found a good school to put her in, and got her room all decorated in pretty pink and white ballerina décor; it was little girl’s paradise. My parents stayed for a week, helping me get everything settled, like having Lillie’s last name changed from Clark to Toews, and helping me find a nanny, which I was still unsuccessful. It didn’t help my mom was being so picky. Her reasoning was. “I don’t want some lunatic taking care of my grandbaby Jonathan.” They also stayed with Lillie when I was out on the road for that first week.

I was pulled in every direction. I was thankful that practices and morning skates would work around her school schedule, since her days were only half of days. Abby, Sharpies wife, only worked part time and offered to help out whenever she could, like watching her during the games, taking care of her when I went on road trips. Kelly, Duncs wife offered to help out when she could too.

“Lillie!” I called from the kitchen. “Breakfast is ready!”

She slowly walked down the hall, and turned into the kitchen with a pitiful look on her face. She walked up to me and raised her arms for me to pick her up. I helped her up on to a stool in the kitchen, and she began to eat her cereal.

“So you excited for school?” I asked sipping on my orange juice as I leaned against the counter top facing her.

She shrugged her shoulders. “I guess” she said as she took another bit. “My mommy was supposed to take pictures of me with my new back pack and everything”

She was breaking my heart.

“I can take a picture and send it grandma and grandpa for you”

“Really?” she said in a happy tone.

I nodded. “I’ll even send it to your Uncle Davey” I said.

She got really happy then. When David found out he had a niece, he booked it back to Chicago for a little visit. He was sent to Toledo to the Walleyes, one of the Hawks farm teams. When the two met, he fell in love with the blue eyed toddler, and was constantly texting me about her asking about her, seeing if she was ok, and sending little gifts for her. The first thing she said when I went to tuck her in that night was “I never had this many people love me before.” It broke my heart hearing that.

“Im scared” she said in her to the uniform she was required to wear. I personally thought it was adorable. She had a white polo shirt, and a checkered jumper dress, with white little socks with lace around the edges and black dress shoes. She had a little red bow in her hair to keep her bangs out of her face, and a navy blue sweater in case she got cold. “Can I bring Patty Cake?” She asked.

Patty Cake was the name she decided on for the bear my parents bought her. Yes, she named it after Kaner. When she met him, she completely fell in love with him; kind of made me a little jealous. It became her security blanket. If you could take him everywhere she would.

“You can take him in the car, but have to leave him in car”

She pouted for a second. “I just don’t know if you can take toys to school” since it had been over ten years since I’ve been in elementary school, let alone preschool.

She went back to eating her breakfast.

She finished eating her breakfast, and we were out and off to school. My mom said this school was one of the best schools in the city. She said it had fantastic programs for kids, and had very good security.