Chapter 1

Amber Journey spat out a mouthful of scalding hot coffee onto the floor.

The boiling black liquid hit the tan carpet, creating a dark mark. Wet ebony drops gently trickled down her chin as she gaped at her superior officer who was staring reproachfully back at her.

"I'm sorry," Amber spluttered, "Did you say magicians broke into a bank?"

Her chief officer sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. Slowly he exhaled and nodded without speaking.

"B-but h-how-how is that even possible?" She asked ignoring Agent Cowan's snickering from behind her as she accidentally stepped in her spilled coffee.

"I don't know, Journey," snapped her boss, "Which is why I'm assigning YOU to find out!"

Amber gaped at him.

"Bu-"

"You have a partner," her boss waved off her protest and glanced at his watch, "I don't have time for this."

"Can I at least know who my partner is?" Amber asked, while attempting to keep her voice steady.

Her boss sucked in a deep breath as his dark eyes flicked over Amber's shoulders and rested on someone new.

"Rhodes."

Amber gaped at him.

"Rhodes?" She asked shocked, "Sir, we hate-"

"Have fun," her boss interrupted as he shoved a thick folder into her hands.

"Hello Journey," a low voice said from behind the woman.

Amber inhaled a deep breath slowly, trying to contain her frustration as she turned to face her newly assigned partner.

The man in question was Dylan Rhodes. Dylan was not a tall man nor was he short. He had curly black hair that had turned salt and pepper gray on the sides and had a four day beard going.

He was also the most irritating man on the planet to Journey. He was rude, aggressive, always had to be in control and was all in all a massive jerk.

Amber had fought/worked with him on multiple occasions for cases but she could count the number of times on one hand. This was because they mixed together about as well as oil and water.

"Hello, Rhodey," Amber said barely containing the aggression in her voice.

"It's Rhodes, Detective," Dylan snapped back at the brunette.

"I'm dreadfully sorry, Rhodey," Amber replied coldly.

Rhodes shoved past her towards the door after trying to snatch the folder from her hands.

"Uh huh," she said pulling out of his reach, "We both know full well whom of us can read and who cannot."

Rhodes sent her an ugly look as he ran a thick hand through his black hair.

"Shut up, Journey. It was one time."

"Yet it still happened. As much as you try to forget it, I will always be here to remind you of when-"

"SHUT UP!"

Amber smirked as Rhodes tried to pull the folder out of her hands again. She stepped backwards and he stumbled after misjudging his step.

Dark eyes full of malevolent fury stared up at her dancing green irises.

"Walking a problem too?"

"Just read the file before I strangle you."

"Tsk tsk, impatient as always, Rhodes," Amber quipped as she slid the file open.

The manila paper felt thick and sturdy under the woman's fingertips. Her long fingers gently slid around the edge of the paper and tucked behind it ready to flip.

The first picture was of a bald or balding man with a face that looked as if it had been punched multiple times and never quite healed correctly. He reminded Amber if someone from a movie she had just seen recently.

"Haymitch Abernathy," Amber stated before glancing up at Dylan.

He wasn't amused.

"Actually it says here his name is Merritt McKinney. Used to be partners with his brother before he got ditched and lost everything. He's a two-bit mentalist. Apparently he can read people really well."

She glanced up at Dylan who was leading her to the jail cells.

"It seems we have a Sherlock Holmes on our hands."

Dylan rolled his eyes and wrenched open the door to the cell. A heavy metal door nearly slammed into Amber's face but she manages to block it with her free hand whilst the other clutched the documents.

"Arsehole," she mumbled under her breath as she let the door fall shut behind her.

"Who's next?" Dylan asked irritably.

"Jack Wilder."

Amber glanced over the file at the little windows in the doors of the cells. Sure enough a kid, barely a year younger than herself sat staring at the opposite wall playing with a deck of cards. He kept throwing them lighting fast around the room and catching them with his fingertips. His brow was furrowed in concentration as he flicked his wrist and released a card at an amazing speed. As it spiraled back towards him he miscalculated the catch and the card slit his finger. Dropping the other cards to cradle his injured hand, Wilder swore violently.

"Journey," Dylan said impatiently, "We don't have all day."

"Right," she replied slowly before shaking herself back into reality, "Right."

Her eyes flicked back down to the folder and she quickly turned the page. A beautiful woman with gorgeous red hair stared haughtily up at her.

"Henley Reeves is next. She's an illusionist. Oh look, she worked with one of the other thieves! She was an assistant with a J. Daniel Atlas."

"Who's he?" Dylan questioned as he peered into the room where the red-haired woman was straining to keep the chair opposite her standing on one leg. It fell with a clatter and the woman sank in her seat with a sulky look on her face.

"A magician."

Dylan sent Amber a dark glare which made her smile widen. She loved infuriating him.

"Journey-"

"J. Daniel Atlas, is an acclaimed illusionist. He's probably the most well known from this group aside from when Haymitch-sorry McKinney was in his prime. Oh and look it says he's frequently seen taking home strays. How lovely."

Amber shot Dylan a look which made his mouth turn into a wide "O" as he realized exactly what she meant.

She nodded and wrinkled her nose in disgust.

Atlas sounded like an arse. A perverted one at that.

"We're going to talk with him first."

Journey growled under her breath.

"Course we are."