Chapter One

________________CHAPTER ONE_________________

It was her or me. Me or my best friend. I had no choice. I lifted my gun and aimed it at her chest; not hesitating to push down on the trigger so the shot rang out. She stumbled back on impact, bright red dripping from where the shot had landed; she looked up at me, her eyes widened in shock and surprise.

And then the buzzer rang.

I slung my gun over one shoulder and grinned at Jessaya, “No hard feelings?” I yelled through the arena our instructors had set up. Jess grinned back at me, thumbs up. I made my way through the soft ground of the ‘woods’ over to her; the instructors had set the arena up so we were in a mock forest environment. Tree’s towering over us, bugs chattering noisily, it sure felt like we were in a forest. They’d done a bang up job on this one.

“How many time’s did you get shot?” I asked, taking in the mass of color on her clothes. Looks like the yellow team got in a few good shots on her.

She shook her head, “I’d be dead ten times over if they used real ammunition.”

I frowned, “Didn’t you try using your major?” I asked, lifting up the hem of her shirt to see the impact of a shot from the green team, “God that’s got to hurt.” I winced at the bruise already forming on her back.

She bit her lip, “You’re telling me. But, yeah, I tried. Water just isn’t the most helpful thing in these kind of situations.”

“You’re kidding me, I would’ve done anything for a drink of water, we were out there for more than five hours and whatever the instructors did, it’s bloody hot in here.” I groaned, fanning my shirt.

“In a real fight, I’ll probably just drown them or something.” Jess said casually.

I smiled, “True. Let’s just hope it never really comes to that.”

“You got hit a few times.” Jess noted, counting the number of paint splats on my clothes, “Six. That’s pretty good considering.”

I grinned, “I must’ve blown back a hundred shots at the people firing.”

Jess groaned, “I would do anything to have air as my major.”

“Jess, Gabby!” I heard a voice shout and I turned around to see a group of our friends walking over to us. James, Rachel, Adam, Kylie and Paige. Well, with excuse of Paige they were our friends, Paige was more of a frienemy, I never knew quite where I stood with her. A few other guys and girls walked over as well and some of our other friends are out on missions so they didn’t have to take the training course today. It’s hard to believe all but three minutes ago we were shooting, trying to ‘kill’ each other and now we were all laughing and chatting away happily.

“What’s up?” I called back.

James lifted up his shirt and showed me a massive red welt on his stomach right next to his belly button, “Thanks for this one!” He said sarcastically, yet still good heartedly, walking over to stand next to me.