Moons Dance

This has been edited but there may still be mistakes.

The night was filled with cheers and wolf howls as the pack welcomed their soon to be Alpha. Their excited howls melting into the harsh whistling of the cool night air.  The moon had turned for three nights and the half moon had begun to form in the sky, the wolves were ready for their long awaited hunt but first they had an event to celebrate. Their Alpha was entering the first stages of his ceremony and soon he would be a Regional Alpha.

The compound was alight with activity as the rooms transformed into magnificent areas for celebration and mingling. The punishment area of the compound had been transformed from a domain of Neema's and many humans torture to one of jubilance. The night was illuminated by tall lit torches that were posted along the columns of the compound wall. The flickering lights creating shadows that intertwined and crackled with energy. The scent of burnt wood and incense wafted through the breeze as Neema's unbound hair billowed in the wind. The night was cold and dismal but Neema found herself happy despite the weather.

"I would like to announce that in a week's time we will have a new Regional Alpha of the North. My son and heir Khan Manasseh descendant of the first Wolfen Brethren."

It had taken Khan's father one week to gather all the required Regional Alpha's, Alpha's, Beta's and councilmen from across the country to witness the announcement. Many more would continue to trail in, in droves until the moon was full. Even few of the Wolfen Brethren would be attending the ceremony as was expected in such an important event in wolf history.  The last ceremony for a regional Alpha had been over a century ago and had ended so horrifically that the control over this event would be fierce. People entering the country and compound would be screened thoroughly and only those with invites woUld be in the ceremonial hall when Khan was marked.

Khan stood centre stage along side his father, his face set in an identical glower to the male. Their cool eyes assessing the celebrating crowd. Khan's hair was loose around his face, with straggles of plaits interweaved in his hair. Gold beads attached to the end of each braid, Neema had stayed up all last night placing random plaits in his hair and attaching the real gold beads to each one she made. The beads caught the light of the torches causing them to gleam in his hair. His long locks now travelling way past his broad shoulders.

Khan's furry beard had been trimmed down close to his face, he no longer resembled a gnarling bear. He could now pass for a descent human. Neema found she already missed his long beard, he looked so much more boyish without it. Khan was all man though. His top was removed as he took to wearing less clothes. The wolves would be running tonight.

"Tonight we hunt in honour of my son and my bloodline. May our bonds always stay true" finalised the Alpha as he lingered on Neema. His smile widening as he met her enraptured gaze, his large hand waving her over to stand on the podium with Khan.

His broad body made way for hers as he meandered off the stage towards Carson and a vibrant blonde. Her straight hair short around her slender shoulders, her stature tall and willowy. Neema had seen her a few times at dinner always placed beside Khan's father.

"That's Carson's mother" confirmed Khan as he enfolded his strong arms around her small body, his heat chasing away the shivers her body felt from the cold.

"I can see the resemblance" she muttered as she watched the small family. Carson's mother was attentive to her son and mate, her hands always meeting one of their shoulders or arms, as if to assure herself they were both there. Maybe she was just shocked to see the two of them getting along so well.

"Where are your sisters and Ryan?"

Neema was aware that half of khan's family were not present for one of the most important events of his life. She was sure that if it were her, her sister would definitely be there. Her golden curls would be at the front of the stage cheering her on and giving her support. God how she missed her sister.