Chapter Nineteen: Shadows Of Sisters

A.N Another update :) As always, comment below what you think. 

Tell me, just as a general tally here, who is Team West & Team Josh? 

Also, here's your discovery quiz for the day:

1. The last song you listened describes your future best friend.

2. The last book you read describes your future partner.

3. The last movie you watched describes what species your future pet will be.

My Answers:

1. All or Nothing- Epic Score. I'm going to interpret that as a super-awesome, super devoted best friend.

2. Last book... I think that was Allegiant by Veronica Roth. *Pauses to cry in corner.* But yes, I would be lucky to get a boyfriend like Tobias Eaton. 

3. Last movie... um, I think it was Salmon Fishing in the Yemen (good movie by the way). OMG! Salmon! I get a pet salmon! Ha! Yes! 

"It's too late now to try and find Daniella," West told me. His voice was stiff but his eyes were edged with empathy. "Besides, you look exhausted."

He wasn't far off. Each secret shared had been energy sapped from me; my legs had grown heavier, my eyelids had started drifting down despite my best intentions and each step seemed to be harder. I wanted to find my sister.

But how come she had never tried to find me?

"I'll come 'round at nine tomorrow," West offered. "If that's what you want- of course." Even now, he studied me: his eyes carefully gauging my reaction.

"I don't want to do it alone," I answered. I'm afraid what I will find.

My hand rested on the door and found no resistance as the door drifted open. Worry tugged at me and West exchanged a look with me as we both entered the house.

Nothing seemed amiss. The chandeliers in their decadent glory were lit, each candle supporting a flickering flame that leaped and danced and left their marks by the shadows on the walls. But the door was open and that was immediately wrong.

"Natalia?" Josh stepped out of the dining room area, closely followed by my father. Father looked pleased in that self-satisfied way that always signalled trouble. "I just came to visit-" His words trailed off as he locked eyes with West.

"You've been out with West," Father stated, sourness lacing his tone.

"The Choice counsellor wished me to," I countered though I doubted the counsellor ever had any intention of our date ending the way it did. Your sister is still alive. No one could have guessed the date would have ended the way it did.

"I suppose she wished you to stay nearly the whole night as well then," Josh muttered.

"Well, you would know about that, wouldn't you Josh?" West spoke up, attacking the other with his own words. Stop it. My sister might be walking, talking, eating, living- and I was stuck in the middle of another fight that had spiralled out of control. I wanted to brush off my fatigue and hunt her down through the streets. I wanted to see her.

I wanted my sister.

"What is that?" Father demanded, brushing past Josh in his attempt to see me the better. I shrank back under the angry expression on his face, the kind of look that was quickly followed by punishment. "What is that you're holding?"

My eyes flickered down and I realised the argentum memoriae was still enclosed firmly in my hand, the silver slippery from my persistent hold. Understanding of my situation dawned on me: my father could see the device in my hand, my father could see that I knew what had killed Daniella, my father would know I had stepped out of line.